Andy Burnham is the Labour Party Member of Parliament (MP) for Leigh and the Mayor of Greater Manchester, in office since May 2017. He is a former special adviser to Labour Party's secretary of state for culture, media and sport Chris Smith.
In September 2015 after losing out to Jeremy Corbyn in the Labour party leadership election Burnham was given the post of shadow home secretary.
Liverpool-born Burnham was educated at St Aelred's Roman Catholic High School in Merseyside and later gained an MA in English from Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge. He joined the Labour Party in 1984, during the miners' strike, aged 14. From 1994 to 1997, Burnham worked as a Researcher to the MP Tessa Jowell. From August to December in 1997, he was Parliamentary Officer at the NHS Confederation and in 1998 started work as an administrator for the Football Task Force. From 1998 to 2001, Burnham was a special adviser to the former Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport Chris Smith. In June 2001, he was elected as the Labour MP for Leigh in Greater Manchester. His subsequent posts are as follows:
- 2001 to 2003: Member of the Health Select Committee
- 2003 to 2004: Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Home Secretary David Blunkett
- 2004: Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly
- 2005 to 2006: Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Immigration, Citizenship and Nationality at the Home Office
- May 2006 to June 2007: Minister of State for Delivery and Reform at the Department of Health
- June 2007 to January 2008: Chief Secretary to the Treasury
- January 2008 to June 2009: Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
- June 2009: Secretary of State for Health
- May 2010: Shadow Secretary of State for Health
Burnham is married to Marie-France Van Heel, former head of marketing at MTV, BSkyB and Littlewoods Gaming; former Planning Director at Creative Communication Agency WRG; and now a director at MvH Marketing Ltd.
Philip Ball - Political Adviser, Andy4Leader campaign | Kevin Lee - Political adviser, Andy4Leader, gifted 2 tickets for Rugby World Cup match on 10/102/2015 by Granada TV | Philippa Menzies - Head of operations and events, Andy 4 Leader, from 16 May-12 September 2015 
Labour leadership attempts
In May 2010 Burnham announced he would stand in the Labour leadership contest following the resignation of Gordon Brown. He promised to put an end to 'stage managed' politics run by 'elites', adding 'I am a team-player; I've never had time for factions'.
Burnham appointed founder and managing director of Insight Consulting Group John Lehal as his campaign manager; Burson Marsteller lobbyist and former director of comms for Ed Miliband's leadership campaign, Katie Myler as director of communications; and Michael Dugher MP as his team chair. Other backers include shadow health minister Luciana Berger, who focused on campaigns and engaging younger voters; shadow Welsh secretary Owen Smith, who focused on questions around the future of the UK; and the shadow justice secretary Lord Falconer.
For his 2015 Labour Party leadership contest campaign, Burnham received £130,000 in private donations:
|Date received||Amount||Name of donor||Role||For|
|14/05/2015||£20,000||Dr Gabriel Scally||NHS whistle blower who resigned as regional director of public health for the south-west of England in 2012||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|28/05/2015||£12,227||Graham Nigel Cole||Director at a number of companies, including GKN Defence Limited and Vix Technology Limited||Interest free loan to cover the rental deposit of an office|
|28/05/2015||£14,773||Graham Nigel Cole||Director at a number of companies, including GKN Defence Limited and Vix Technology Limited||Monthly rental, phone and internet costs.|
|20/05/2015||£5,000||Imtiaz Shah||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|03/06/2015||£2,500||Gurinder Sandhu||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|03/06/2015||£5,000||DCD Properties Ltd||A property company based in London||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|05/06/2015||£2,000.00||Michael Sternberg||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|08/06/2015||£5,000.00||La Morada Ltd||A company based in Runcorn and run by Wesley John Allmark||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|10/06/2015||£20,000.00||Ecotricity Group Ltd||Renewable energy firm owned by Dale Vince, a Labour Party donor.||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|12/06/2015||£5,000.00||Vermont Construction Ltd||A construction company based in Liverpool||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|16/06/2015||£5,000.00||Paul Flanagan||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|25/06/2015||£10,000.00||Graham Nigel Cole||Director at a number of companies, including GKN Defence Limited and Vix Technology Limited||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|05/06/2015||£2,000.00||Michael Sternberg||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|30/05/2015||£10,000||Imtiaz Shah||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|02/07/2015||£5,000.00||M Naheed Randhawa||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|30/06/2015||£2,000.00||Dr Reza Tabrizi||CEO at Caspian General Investments plc||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|03/07/2015||£3,000.00||Sir Sigmund Sternberg||Philanthropist, businessman and Labour Party donor||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|01/07/2015||£2,000.00||Dr Ann G Limb||Chair of the South East Midlands Local Enterprise Partnership and non-executive director of Homes and Communities Agency, amongst other roles||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|26/06/2015||£1,200.00||Howard Borrington||Director of UK Government Affairs at MBDA, the 'world leader in missiles and missile systems'||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|07/07/2015||£800.00||Howard Borrington||Director of UK Government Affairs at MBDA, the 'world leader in missiles and missile systems'||In support of Burnham's campaign|
|30/06/2015||£2,000.00||Syed H Raza||In support of Burnham's campaign|
Meeting with lobbyists
In June 2015, Labour MPs including Burnham, Chuka Umunna, Tristram Hunt, Emma Reynolds and Chris Bryant and peer Lord Mandelson, Conservative MP Sajid Javid and Mayor of London candidate Sol Campbell attended a bash at the Mondrian London hotel. Also in attendance were Charles Lewington (founder and MD of Hanover Communications), Tim Allan (MD of Portland) and John Lehal (founder and MD of Insight Consulting Group).
Contact, Resources, Notes
- Info-Dynamics Research, "Where are they now? The 1997/1998 Special Advisers to the Labour Government", GMB: April 2006 Briefing, p10, accessed 24.09.10
- "New Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport", BACTA, 28.01.08, accessed 24.09.10
- "Rt Hon Andy Burnham MP", Department of Health, 30.09.09, accessed 24.09.10
- Kirsty Walker, "Wife of Labour leadership candidate Andy Burnham has double mastectomy", The Daily Mail, 03.06.10, accessed 24.09.10
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 19 April 2016
- Staff writers, "Andy Burnham and Diane Abbott join Labour leadership race", The Telegraph, 19.05.10, accessed 24.09.10
- Andy Burnham announces his candidacy for Labour leadership - video The Guardian, 13 May 2015, accessed 19 May 2015.
- David Singleton Andy Burnham adds corporate firepower to leadership team by hiring two top lobbyists, Total Politics, 5 June 2015, accessed 8 June 2015.
- Labour List Dugher to manage Burnham’s leadership campaign, 16 May 2015, accessed 21 May 2015.
- Parliament.uk The Register of Members' Financial Interests: Part 1(as at 13th July 2015) - Andy Burnham, accessed 21 July 2015.
- Company Check Graham Nigel Cole, accessed 21 July 2015.
- Company Check La Morada Limited, accessed 21 July 2015.
- Linkedin Dr Reza Tabrizi, accessed 21 July 2015.
- Linkedin Dr. Ann Limb CBE DL, accessed 21 July 2015.
- Linkedin Howard Borrington, accessed 21 July 2015.
- David Singleton Labour MPs and lobbyists out in force at FT summer party Total Politics, 24 June 2015, accessed 24 June 2015.