Counter Disinformation and Media Development
Counter Disinformation and Media Development (CDMD) programme 'supports HMG's Russia Strategy's objective to protect UK national security by reducing the harm to democracy and the rules-based international order caused by Russia's information operations.' It is funded by the Conflict, Stability and Security Fund a fund used to support hundred of overt and covert propaganda projects by MI6, the Foreign Office and other government departments.
The CSSF Summary states:
- The UK does not seek to fight propaganda with propaganda. Instead, the UK promotes circulation and access to accurate information and positive engagement with those impacted by Russian disinformation. CSSF is best placed to deliver on this, as it brings together skills and resources from across the UK Government, along with external expertise.
- The Russian Government invests heavily in propaganda, and information operations are integral to their foreign and defence strategies and have been utilised regularly e.g. as part of illegal actions in Georgia and Ukraine and in relation to high profile intelligence agency operations exposed in Russia and abroad.
- Integrity Initiative/Institute for Statecraft
- Understand services for the FCO Counter - Disinformation and media development programme - University of Cardiff research project, 2022. Principal Investigator Innes, Martin, Co-InvestigatorsDaunt, Kate. Net value award figure for Cardiff University: £649,925.00 Start date: 31/03/2022 End date: 30/09/2022.
- Open Information Partnership
- EXPOSE Network
- CSSF PROGRAMME SUMMARY: PROGRAMME TITLE: Counter Disinformation and Media Development Programme Retrieved from the Internet Archive of 24 May 2022.
- Cardiff University Research Portal Title: Understand services for the FCO Counter - Disinformation and media development programme. Retrieved from the Internet Archive of 24 may 2022.