Wolfson Family Charitable Trust
The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust (WFCT) is a sister trust of the Wolfson Foundation. The trust has shared objectives and joint administration with the Wolfson Foundation, registered charity number 1156077, at 8 Queen Anne Street, London, W1G 9LD.
The Trust was established in 1958 and currently has assets of some £35 million, allocating about £1.5 million each year.
The aims of the Trust are similar to those of the Wolfson Foundation: backing excellence through capital infrastructure projects, particularly in areas that are under-funded. Applicants are encouraged to use funds as a catalyst, so that the Trust's funding can lever additional support.
A large majority of the assets derive from the realisation of the Trust's historic involvement in Israel's Paz Oil Company and so the majority of the funds are allocated for programmes in Israel.
- Hon. Mrs Laura Wolfson Townsley (Chairman)
- Dame Janet Wolfson de Botton DBE
- Sir Eric Ash CBE FRS
- Sir Ian Gainsford FDSRCS FDSRCSE
- Mr Martin Paisner CBE
- Hon. Mrs Elizabeth Wolfson Peltz
- Sir Bernard Rix
- Lord Turnberg MD FRCP
- Mrs Alexandra Halamish
Lord Wolfson of Marylebone | Martin Paisner | Lady Wolfson of Marylebone | Janet Wolfson de Botton | Laura Wolfson Townsley | Prof. Barrie Jay | Eric Ash | Bernard Rix | Ian Gainsford (Appointed 2 August 2004)
The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust is advised on its work in Israel by an Advisory Committee in Israel, drawn from leading academic and medical experts. Current membership and contact information is detailed below.
Wolfson Advisory Committee Israel
- Professor Haim Ben-Shahar (Chairman)
- Professor Aaron Ciechanover
- Professor Yoram Groner
- Professor Hanoch Gutfreund
- Professor Joshua Jortner
- Professor Shmuel Penchas
- Professor Zehev Tadmor
- Professor Haim Ben-Shahar - Chairman
- Wolfson Advisory Committee
- The Eitan Berglas School of Economics
- Tel Aviv University
- Tel-Aviv 69978
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Programmes in Israel
From the Wolfson Foundation website:
- Funding for universities and hospitals
- Our main funding programmes in Israel are currently focused on universities and hospitals.
- Awards for these organisations are normally made under the umbrella of designated programmes in which relevant organisations are invited to participate. As such, we do not generally accept unsolicited applications in these areas.
- Over the past few years, funding for universities has been for equipment supporting nationally co-ordinated programmes on important research themes including nanotechnology, desalination, quantum information and solar energy.
- Funding for hospitals in Israel is mainly for medical equipment.
- The Trust is advised by an Advisory Committee in Israel, chaired by Professor Haim Ben-Shahar, and drawn from leading academic and medical experts. A list of members is here.
- The Advisory Committee co-ordinate our programmes for universities and hospitals, and invited applications are submitted via the Committee before being forwarded to our UK office for further consideration.
- If invited to apply via these programmes, general advice on what information should be included is the same as for UK applicants to the Wolfson Foundation, as set out here.
Year ending 31 March 2021
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel (joint grant with the Wolfson Foundation totalling £550,000)
- Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel (joint grant with the Wolfson Foundation totalling 3460,000)
- Weizmann Institute of Science, Rohovot, Israel (joint grant with the Wolfson Foundation totalling 8460,000)
- Tel-Aviv University, Israel (joint grant with the Wolfson Foundation totalling £391,000)
- Ben-Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel (joint grant with the Wolfson Foundation totalling £325,000)
- Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel (joint grant with the Wolfson Foundation totalling £314,000)
|Grant recipients of the Wolfson Family Charitable Trust in £ sterling|
|Science technology and medical research|
|Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel||50,000||250,000||135,000||152,000||144,000||125,600||856,600|
|Ben-Gurion University, Israel||240,000||135,000||116,000||152,000||140,000||130,000||913,000|
|Britain Israel Research and Academic Exchange Partnership, Israel||50,000||75,000||125,000|
|Chaim Sheba Medical Centre, Tel Hashomer||350,000||198,000||140,000||128,000||816,000|
|Christie Hospital, Manchester||14,000||14,000|
|Daniel Turnberg Research Exchange Scheme||50,000||50,000|
|Edith Wolfson Medical Centre, Holon||470,000||183,000||104,000||66,800||823,800|
|Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem||525,000||198,000||100,000||148,000||971,000|
|Hebrew University, Israel||750,000||750,000||415,000||260,000||126,000||170,000||188,000||220,000||220,000||3,099,000|
|Israel Science Foundation, Jerusalem, Israel||100,000||100,000|
|Laboratory refurbishment at Israeli universities||2,900,000||2,900,000|
|Laniado Hospital, Netanya||45,000||45,000|
|Rabin Medical Centre, Petah Tikva||190,000||198,000||140,000||120,000||648,000|
|Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa||615,000||198,000||120,000||160,000||1,093,000|
|Research laboratories for young sicentists in Israel||3,822,000||3,822,000|
|Shaare Zedek Medical Centre, Jerusalem||85,000||198,000||100,000||97,200||480,200|
|Soroka Medical Centre, Beer Sheva||630,000||144,000||140,000||136,000||1,050,000|
|Sourasky Medical Centre, Tel Aviv||420,000||183,000||156,000||144,000||903,000|
|Tel Aviv University, Israel||750,000||750,000||185,000||235,000||162,000||134,000||164,000||220,000||156,400||2,756,400|
|University of Haifa, Israel||170,000||170,000|
|Water desalination research project, Israeli universities||750,000||750,000|
|Weizmann Institute, Israel||800,000||750,000||470,000||265,000||171,000||111,000||184,000||200,000||184,000||3,135,000|
|Academy of Medical Sciences, London||100,000||100,000||100,000||300,000|
|College for All, Tel Aviv||4,500||4,500|
|Emunah, Bnei Brak||20,000||20,000|
|Hasmonean High School, London||25,000||25,000|
|Holocaust Education Trust, London||12,000||20,000||15,000||15,000||62,000|
|Holocaust Survivors' Friendship Association, West Yorkshire||15,000||15,000|
|Institute for Jewish Policy Research, London||15,000||15,000|
|JFS School, Harrow||100,000||100,000|
|Jewish Lads' and Girls' Brigade, London||5,000||10,000||15,000|
|Kamak, Kfar Sabu||2,400||2,400|
|Kedma Youth Village, Shephelah||5,000||5,000|
|Maccabim Association, Tel Aviv||5,000||5,000|
|Manchester Jewish Grammar School||75,000||75,000|
|North West London Jewish Day School, London||30,000||30,000|
|ORT Yad Lvovich, Israel||75,000||75,000|
|Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies||30,000||30,000|
|Peres Centre for Peace||20,000||20,000|
|Sacks Morasha Jewish Primary School, London||50,000||50,000|
|Schools project (assistance for children in Northern Israel)||15,000||15,000|
|Technion - Israel Institute of Technology||100,000||100,000|
|Tirat Carmel Community Foundation||3,000||3,000|
|Wolfson Hillel Primary School, London||75,000||46,000||121,000|
|World Jewish Relief||25,000||25,000|
|Yad Vashem, Jerusalem||200,000||200,000|
|Yemin Orde Wingate Academy, Haifa, Israel||50,000||50,000|
|Health and Welfare|
|Akim Israel, Tel Aviv||6,000||7,000||8,000||21,000|
|Alin Beit Noam, Kiryat Ono, Israel||20,000||20,000|
|ALUT, Givatayim, Israel||20,000||20,000|
|Amit Clubhouse, Nazaret Illit, Israel||10,000||10,000|
|Association for Developing Community Services, Sha'ar Hanegev||2,600||2,600|
|Association for Fighting AT Diseases, Ramat Gan||10,000||10,000|
|Bayis Sheli, London||43,000||50,000||93,000|
|Beit Issie Shapiro, Ra'anana, Israel||100,000||5,000||20,000||15,000||140,000|
|Beit Hagalgalim, Herzliya Pituach, Israel||16,000||16,000|
|Beit Halochem, Tel Aviv, Israel||25,000||25,000|
|Beit Moriah, Beer Sheva||11,000||11,000|
|Bikur Cholim, London||15,000||50,000||65,000|
|Centre for Deaf-Blind Persons, Tel Aviv||5,000||3,500||5,000||8,000||21,500|
|Center for Independent Living, Jeruslaem, Israel||9,800||9,800|
|Chai Cancer Care, Manchester||15,000||100,000||115,000|
|CLS Care Services Group, Manchester||10,000||10,000|
|Community Security Trust (CST), London||25,000||25,000|
|Computers for Every Child||20,000||20,000|
|Cystic Fibrosis Foundation of Israel||5,000||12,000||17,000|
|Delamere Forest School||14,000||14,000|
|Donisthorpe Hall, Leeds||25,000||25,000|
|Eliya, Petach-Tikva, Israel||15,000||15,000|
|Emda - Alzheimer Association of Israel||15,000||15,000|
|Enosh, Petach Tikva, Israel||10,000||10,000|
|Eshel Colel Chabad, Migdal Haemek||4,500||4,500|
|Etgarim, Tel Aviv||4,000||4,000|
|Ezer Mizion, Briei Brak, Israel||25,000||25,000||15,000||65,000|
|Ezra U'Marpeh, London||15,000||15,000|
|Foundation for the Benefit of Holocaust Survivors, Tel Aviv||20,000||20,000|
|Gvanim Association, Sderot||2,000||2,000|
|Gesher School, London||75,000||75,000|
|Hamifal, Jerusalem, Israel||10,000||10,000|
|Hatzolah Israel, Jerusalem||10,000||10,000|
|Hospice of the Upper Galilee, Rosh Pina, Israel||20,000||20,000|
|Ilan, Petah Tikva, Israel||14,000||14,000|
|Institute for the Advancement of Deaf Persons in Israel, Tel Aviv||22,000||22,000|
|Institute of Deaf Persons in Israel, Tel Aviv||5,000||5,000|
|Israel Elwyn, Jerusalem, Israel||20,000||20,000|
|Israeli Foundation for Handicapped Children, Haifa||20,000||20,000|
|Jewish Blind and Disabled, London||20,000||20,000|
|Jewish Leadership Council,||60,000||60,000|
|Kav LaChayim, Petach Tikvah, Israel||10,000||10,000|
|Kav-Or, Northern Israel||12,000||12,000|
|Kivunim, Haifa, Israel||20,000||20,000|
|Krembo Wings, Tel Aviv, Israel||4,000||4,000|
|Lahav Association, Ramat Gan, Israel||2,000||2,000|
|Langdon Foundation, Edgeware, Middlesex||15,000||75,000||90,000|
|Laniado Hospital, Netanya, Israel||20,000||20,000|
|Leeds Jewish Welfare Board||20,000||20,000|
|LOTEM, Yokne'am, Israel||19,500||19,500|
|Magen David Alom||65,000||65,000|
|Manchester Jewish Community Care||50,000||50,000|
|Marom High School, Ramat Hasharon||3,400||3,400|
|Marpeh Lanefesh Wellness Center, Jerusalem, Israel||5,000||5,000|
|Mayanei Ha Yeshua Centre, Bney Brak, Israel||3,000||3,000|
|Meir Panim, Jerusalem, Israel||20,000||20,000|
|Micha (south), Negev, Israel||15,000||15,000|
|Milbat, Tel Hashomer Hospital||15,000||22,000||37,000|
|Min Ajliki, Kfar Kfar, Israel||2,500||2,500|
|Moreshet Yaakov, Rechovot||4,500||4,500|
|Natal - Israel Trauma Center for Victims of Terror and War, Tel Aviv||30,000||30,000|
|National Benevolent Fund for the Aged||3,000||3,000|
|Nicky Alliance Day Centre, Manchester||10,000||10,000|
|Nitzant, Tel Aviv||18,000||18,000|
|Ohel Sarah, Givat Shmuel, Israel||9,500||9,500|
|Or LaOlam, Jeruslalem, Israel||20,000||20,000|
|Or Simcha, Kfar Chabad||5,000||5,000|
|OZMA, Givatayim, Israel||10,700||10,700|
|Rochdale Special Needs Cycling Club, Lancashire||20,000||20,000|
|Ron Shulamit Conservatory, Jeruslaem, Israel||2,000||2,000|
|Schaller Medical Centre, Israel||50,000||50,000|
|Shaare Zedek, Jerusalem, Israel||175,000||175,000|
|Shekel, Jerusalem, Israel||25,000||20,000||45,000|
|Shema Kolenu, Jerusalem||10,000||10,000|
|Shalheveth, Jerusalem, Israel||9,100||9,100|
|Shikum Acher, Tel Aviv||4,200||4,200|
|SOS Children's Villages Israel, Petach Tikvah, Israel||16,000||16,000|
|St John Eye Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel||10,000||10,000|
|St Mary's Hospital||45,000||45,000|
|Technoda, Hadera, Israel||7,500||30,000||37,500|
|Tel Aviv Sourasky Centre, Israel||100,000||100,000|
|The Fed, Manchester||50,000||50,000|
|United Hatzalah, Israel||15,000||15,000|
|Yad Sarah, Jerusalem, Israel||60,000||50,000||25,000||25000||25,000||185,000|
|Yuri Shtern Foundation, Jerusalem||5,000||5,000|
|Zaka, Jerusalem, Israel||10,000||10,000|
|Ziv Kishorit Democratic High School, Western Galilee, Israel||16,000||16,000|
|Art and Humanities|
|Bevis Marks Synagogue, London||15,000||54,000||69,000|
|Bible Lands Museum, Jerusalem, Israel||25,000||35,000||60,000|
|Buchmann-Mehta School of Music, Tel Aviv||11,000||11,000|
|Central Synagogue, London||160,000||12,000||500||50,000||50,000||272,500|
|Council for a Beautiful Israel||125,000||125,000|
|Ghetto Fighters' House Museum, Mateh Asher, Israel||25,000||25,000|
|Golders Green Synagogue, London||10,000||10,000|
|Israel Museum, Jerusalem||250,000||200,000||450,000|
|Israeli Philharmonic Orchestra, Tel Aviv||25,000||20,000||90,000||135,000|
|Jerusalem Foundation, Israel||125,000||125,000|
|Keshet Eilon, Western Galilee, Israel||25,000||25,000|
|Merton College, Oxford||10,000||10,000|
|Nash Concert Society||2,000||2,000|
|National Gallery, London||160,000||160,000|
|New West End Synagogue, London||10,000||10,000|
|Norwich Hebrew Congregation||25,000||25,000|
|Temple Music Foundation||1,500||1,500|
|Sandys Row Synagogue, London||15,000||15,000|
|Scottish Jewish Archive Centre, Glasgow||30,000||30,000|
|Umm al-Fahm Art Gallery, Haifa District, Israel||25,000||25,000|
|United Synagogue, London||35,000||35,000|
|Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, Israel||50,000||200,000||250,000|
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2005.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2006.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2007.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2008.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2009.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2010.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2011.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2012.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2013.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2017.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2018.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2019.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2020.
- The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2021.
- The Wolfson Foundation
- 8 Queen Anne Street
- W1G 9LD
- Tel: 020 7323 5730 (with voicemail message system)
- Media/Press enquiries: 020 7323 3124 (voicemail not available)
- ↑ Annual Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ended 31 March 2021, Wolfson Foundation. Retrieved 25 October 2022.
- ↑ Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Wolfson Foundation website.
- ↑ Wolfson Foundation Wolfson Family Charitable Trust Trustees. Accessed 29 October 2014.
- ↑ The Wolfson Family Charitable Trust, Trustees' Report for the year ended 31 March 2005 p. 1.
- ↑ Advisory Committee, Wolfson Foundation website.
- ↑ Grants in Israel, Wolfson Foundation website.
- ↑ Source: FoI request to Kings College.
- ↑ Wolfson Family Charitable Trust Annual Report and Financial Statements for the Year Ending 31 March 2021