Category:Higher Education in Israel
This page catalogues Israeli institutions of higher education including colleges and universities. It focuses especially on contributions to the occupation, the Israel Lobby and similar issues.
Israel's official universities are listed below, followed by their English acronym (if commonly used), internet domain, establishment date, latest data about the number of students and the institute's academic rank of the top world universities, according to WebOMetrics (top 3000), Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) (top 500) and The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) (top 200):
|Institute||Internet Domain||Est. Date||Students||World Academic Rank (WebOMetrics, SJTU, THES)|
|Hebrew University of Jerusalem (HUJI)||huji.ac.il||1918||22,600 (2003)||131, 64, 77|
|Technion - Israel Institute of Technology (IIT)||technion.ac.il||1912||13,000 (2005)||101–150, 102–150, 194|
|Weizmann Institute of Science (WIS)||weizmann.ac.il||1949||700 (2006)||346, 102–150, N/A|
|Bar-Ilan University (BIU)||biu.ac.il||1955||26,800 (2008)||570, 305–401, N/A|
|Tel Aviv University (TAU)||tau.ac.il||1956||29,000 (2005)||266, 102–150, 114|
|University of Haifa (HU)||haifa.ac.il||1963||13,000 (2005)||510, 402–508, N/A|
|Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU)||bgu.ac.il||1969||19,000 (2010)||448, 203–304, N/A|
|Open University of Israel (OPENU)||openu.ac.il||1974||39,000 (2005)||1893, N/A, N/A|
Resources on Israeli higher education and the occupation
- Ahmed Abbes and Ivar Ekeland The Technion: an elite university for Israeli student-soldiers Al Araby al Jadeed, 9 November, 2014.
- Omar Barghouti and Lisa Taraki Freedom vs. "Academic" Freedom The AUT Boycott, Counterpunch June 01, 2005.
- Stan Cohen A 'colourful past' indeed Carmi Gillon's sinister history of torture means he is no ordinary academic visiting London to lecture and be wined and dined Comment is Free, The Guardian, Thursday 22 November 2007 13.00 GMT Last modified on Monday 9 February 2009 15.10 GMT.
- Hilla Dayan The School of Occupation Studies Ha-`Oketz 3 January 2008 http://www.haokets.org/ Original Hebrew: http://www.kibush.co.il/show_file.asp?num=24376 Translated by George Malent
- Adam Hudson 'Cornell NYC Tech's Alarming Ties to the Israeli Occupation' Community members are concerned about Cornell’s partnership with Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, whose research and development help sustain Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land. The Nation, March 1, 2013.
- Uri Yacobi Keller Academic Boycott of Israel and the Complicity of Israeli Academic Institutions in Occupation of Palestinian Territories The Economy of the Occupation A Socioeconomic Bulletin Jerusalem/Beit Sahour: Alternative Information Center. № 23-24 October 2009.
- Michael Lieven and Graeme Martin Higher Education in a Global Market: The Case of British Overseas Provision in Israel Higher Education, Vol. 52, No. 1 (Jul., 2006), pp. 41-68.
- PACBI Israel’s Universities: A Pillar of Occupation and Apartheid 8 November 2014.
- The Right to Education Campaign at Birzeit University Birzeit University group calls on Cornell to end partnership with Technion, Mondoweiss, December 14, 2012.
- SOAS Palestine Society Tel Aviv University – A Leading Israeli Military Research Centre Urgent Briefing Paper. February 2009.
Pages in category "Higher Education in Israel"
The following 42 pages are in this category, out of 42 total.