Tony Grayling is the head of environmental policy at the Environment Agency, the main environmental regulator in England.
He is a former director of the Institute for Public Policy Research think tank (1999-2006).
- Tony Grayling is head of Climate Change and Communities at the Environment Agency, He leads the Environment Agency’s work on cross-cutting issues including climate change, sustainable communities and land use planning. He is currently leading the agency’s work on unconventional oil and gas. He was previously a special adviser to David Miliband and Hilary Benn at DEFRA, helping to design the UK’s Climate Change Act 2008. From 2002 to 2006 he was an associate director and head of the sustainability team at the Institute for Public Policy Research, a UK think tank, which he joined in 1999 as a research fellow. He was a special adviser to the Minister for Transport, Gavin Strang, from 1997-98 during the development of the UK governments 1998 transport white paper and before that a researcher successively to Labour MPs Ron Davies and Anne Campbell. Educated at Thorpe St Andrew School, Norwich and Fitzwilliam College, he has a first class degree in natural sciences and a PhD in plant sciences both from Cambridge University. 
Attended fracking dinner
On 9 May 2013 Grayling attended a 'working dinner' hosted by Stephen Lovegrove and UK Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood 'to discuss the issues relating to the development of unconventional gas and oil in Lancashire and nationally'.
- Ken Cronin – Chief Executive, UK Onshore Operators Group (UKOOG)
- Francis Egan – CEO, Cuadrilla Resources
- Duarte Figueira – Head, Office of Unconventional Gas & Oil, DECC
- Peter Forsyth – Director, Strategy & Investment, Carillion
- Phil Halsall – CEO, Lancashire County Council
- Calum MacLean – Chairman, Ineos O&P Europe
- Simon Toole – Head, Licensing, Exploration and Development, DECC
The names of the company and government representatives at this working dinner were not revealed in DECC's 'transparency' list of quarterly meetings; they emerged as the result of freedom of information requests by the media  - making a mockery of the UK Coalition government's proclaimed 'transparency' approach.
- David Miliband - Grayling was a former SPAD to Miliband at DEFRA.
- Hilary Benn - Grayling was a SPAD to Benn at DEFRA
- Gavin Strang, Grayling was a special adviser to Strang when he was Minister for Transport, from 1997-98
- Dr. Tony Grayling, Head of Climate Change and Communities, Environment Agency, Speaker biography, Shale UK 4-5 March 2015
- Email from: Figueira Duarte (Energy Development), Sent: 03 May 2013 13:43, Subject: Dinner Invitation - Thursday 9th May
- MEETINGS WITH EXTERNAL ORGANISATIONS (INCLUDING MEETINGS WITH NEWSPAPER AND OTHER MEDIA PROPRIETORS, EDITORS AND SENIOR MEDIA EXECUTIVES), QUARTERLY INFORMATION, April-June 2013, Department of Energy and Climate Change