Pete Hoekstra is a former chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. In December 2017 he was sworn in as the new US Ambassador to the Netherlands.
Hoekstra describes himself as 'a frequent writer and commentator on intelligence issues and the threat from radical Islam'. He has spoken previously of Europe and the Netherlands having a problem of 'no go zones' i but flatly denied having ever done so when confronted by a Dutch journalist soon after his appointment as US ambassador. Hoekstra's 'fake news' response to the journalist hit headlines around the world when it was counter-acted with the journalist showing Hoekstra a video clip of his past claims from 2015 at a conference run by leading anti-Muslim commentator David Horowitz 
Speaker at anti-Islam conference
In August 2016, just 18 months before he was sworn in as US ambassador to the Netherlands, Hoekstra was a key speaker at the American Freedom Alliance's one-day conference 'Islam and Western civilization: Can they coexist?', in Los Angeles. He was one of 19 speakers, many of the linked the trans-Atlantic counterjihad movement:
Pamela Geller | Robert Spencer, former US ambassador John Bolton (keynote) | Andrew Bostom | Nonie Darwish | Mort Klein | Trevor London | Elisabeth Sabaditsch-Wolff | Philippe Karsenty | Guy Millière, | James Simpson and the Hon. Pete Hoekstra | Frank Gaffney, | Admiral James Lyons | Daniel Greenfield and Stephen Coughlin | Wafa Sultan | Bosch Fawstin ('creator of the anti-Islamic superhero Pigman') 
Henrik Clausen from the counterjihad movement's Gates of Vienna website reported:
- 'At this one-day conference in Los Angeles, California, the local chapter of American Freedom Alliance presented a record-setting list of 19 ‘Islamophobic’ speakers talking about the current state of things between the West and Islam.'
Most speakers addressed three topics:
- Islam in the Culture: Nonie Darwish, Mort Klein, Bosch Fawstin, Trevor London, and Lt. Col. White
- Islam on the Move: Elisabeth Sabaditsch-Wolff, Philippe Karsenty, Guy Millière, James Simpson and the Hon. Pete Hoekstra
- Islam as a National and Global Security Threat: Frank Gaffney, Admiral James Lyons, Daniel Greenfield and Stephen Coughlin
David Horowitz fundraiser speaker
Hoekstra at a 2015 conference hosted by the David Horowitz Freedom Center said: “The Islamic movement has now gotten to a point where they have put Europe into chaos. Chaos in the Netherlands, there are cars being burned, there are politicians that are being burned.”... “And yes, there are no-go zones in the Netherlands,” .
- Steven Emerson
- John Bolton, former US Ambassador to the UN