King's role as a spad combined a mix of policy development and advice, communications handling and political support.  King was originally hired by Britain's culture secretary Maria Miller in 2012. King’s experience in the different sectors is extensive, having worked as a policy adviser, a political and communications consultant and a sponsorship and marketing consultant in the past. 
King previously worked at Conservative Central Office between 2009 and 2010, where he worked in the research department, covering culture, media and sport issues.
During this period he advised Jeremy Hunt MP, with a focus on policy development and political campaigning. He also worked on publications including the Conservative Party's sports manifesto for the 2010 general election. 
Controversially King is believed to have been briefed on details of BSkyB's lobbying operation. 
Notes and references
- Nick King British Council, accessed 16 October 2014
- Matt Cartmell Culture Secretary Maria Miller appoints Hanover's Nick King as special adviser, PR Week, 5 October 2012, accessed 19 September 2014.
- Andrew Pierce Will Murdoch move backfire on top Tory? The Daily Mail, 14 October 2012, accessed 8 October 2014
- Rajeev Syal, Tory party's News Corp links face fresh scrutiny over lobbyist's role The Guardian, 14 November 2014, accessed 8 October 2014
- Nick King, Linkedin profile, accessed July 2016
- Special advisers in post, 30 November 2014 GOV.UK, accessed 30 April 2015