Business in the Community
Business in the Community is a Prince's Charity set up by the Prince of Wales. It's stated aim is to 'inspire, engage, support and challenge' its member companies 'to improve their positive impact on society' in 4 areas: workplace, marketplace, environment and community. According to its website, Business in the Community works with companies who make a commitment to a) 'Inspire, innovate and lead by sharing learning and experience of responsible business', b) 'Impact on key social issues through collaborative action in areas of greatest need' and c) 'Integrate, manage and measure responsible business practice'. In 2009 their top priorities are stated as being to tackling climate change and develop the talent and skills of the existing and future workforce.
Board of Trustee Directors
In 2009, Business in the Community's Board of Trustee Directors is listed as:
- Stuart Rose - Chairman. Rose also serves as Chief Executive of Marks and Spencer (he joined them in 1972 and became CE in 2004), as non-executive director of Land Securities plc and Chairman of the British Fashion Council. Rose has also previously served the Burton Group (1989 - 1997), was Chief Executive of Argos plc (in 1998), went on to became Chief Executive of Booker plc, then became Chief Executive of Arcadia Group plc (2000-2002).
- Ann Beynon - Chairman, Business in the Community Wales Advisory Board. Beynon also serves as Director Wales at BT (since 2004).
- Amelia Chilcott Fawcett - Chairman Workplace Impact Area. Fawcett also serves as Chairman of Pensions First LLP, is Chairman of Guardian Media Group plc and is Non-Executive Director of State Street Corporation in Boston, Massachusetts and the Bank of England (she is a member of the Court of the Bank of England and Chairman of the Bank’s Audit Committee. Her previous roles include serving Morgan Stanley.
- Philip Green - Chairman Environment Impact Area. Green also serves as Chief Executive of United Utilities PLC (described as one of the largest water, gas and electricity utilities companies in the UK), is CEO of P&O Nedlloyd (described as 'one of the largest container shipping companies in the world'), is a non-executive Director of Lloyds TSB Group plc and is a member of the Commission for Skills and Employment. Green previously served DHL as was Chief Operating Officer with the Reuters Group.
- Christine Hodgson - Member, Business in the Community Finance & Risk Committee. Hodgson also serves as Chief Executive of Capgemini Technology Services UK (part of Capgemini (UK) Plc). Her previous roles include serving Coopers & Lybrand and Ronson plc.
- Phil Hodkinson serves as is a non-executive director of HM Revenue & Customs, BT plc, Travelex Holdings and Resolution Ltd, is a trustee of Christian Aid and BBC's Children in Need and is a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries. His previous involvements include serving as Group Finance Director with HBOS plc, serving as Chairman of Insight Investment and Clerical Medical and as CEO of Zurich Financial Services UK Life. He also previously served as chair of the ABI's Raising Standards Accreditation Scheme and was a member of the DTI Operating and Financial Review Working Group.
- Chris Hyman - Chairman of The Prince’s Seeing is Believing Programme. Hyman also serves as Chief Executive of Serco Group plc (he joined the firm in 1994). He is chairman of the charity In Kind Direct and is non-exec director for Habitat for Humanity, Africa Foundation and the Borneo Tropical Rainforest Foundation. He is also a member of the UK Government's Honours Advisory Committee for Economy. His previous involvements include serving Arthur Andersen and Ernst & Young.
- John Kelly - Chairman, Community Impact Area and Chairman, Engage Membership Commitment. Kelly also serves as Chairman of Trainline.com, as Director for the British Casinos Association and as chair with the Advisory Group for Kings Park Capital Private Equity. His previous involvements include serving as Chief Executive of Gala Coral Group, Cascade Clubs Holdings Ltd and as Managing Director and Board Director with Mecca Leisure plc.
- Mike Kelly - Chairman, Corporate Responsibility Group. Kelly also serves KPMG where he heads their CSR activities. Prior to this he served 7 years with the United Nations (where he was was Senior Programme Officer for the United Nations Environment Programme, Financial Institutions Initiative), he also previously served NatWest as Head of Environmental Management.
- Ben Kernighan - Independent Assessment Panel member. Kernighan also serves as Deputy Chief Executive at the National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO). He has previously served as Head of the Voluntary Sector National Training Organisation in England, served the Terrence Higgins Trust, was on the board of Futurebuilders England and was a trustee of the Earls Court Homeless Families Project and the Basic Skills Agency.
- Richard Lambert - Board Member, Business in the Community Key Stakeholder. Lambert also serves as Director General with the Confederation of British Industry, is Chair of the Retail Financial Services Group and of 'the Advisory Board of a Research Council-funded project studying knowledge transfer'. He is a member of the UK-India Roundtable and the Franco-British Colloque and is a Trustee of the British Museum. His previous involvements include serving as editor with the Financial Times (from 1991-2001), was a Non-Executive Director of Euronext-Liffe and Axa Investment Management and was an external member of the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee.
- Carolyn McCall. McCall also serves as Chief Executive of the Guardian Media Group plc and as Non-Executive Director of Tesco. Formerly she was Non-Executive Director of New Look plc and President of Women in Advertising and Communications London.
- John M Neill - Chairman, Business in the Community Audit Committee. Neill also serves as Group Chief Executive of Unipart Group, is Vice President of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, is Director of the SMMT Industry Forum, is Vice President of The Institute of the Motor Industry, is a council member of the Institute of Directors, is Vice President of BEN and is a Non-Executive Director of Charter International plc and Rolls-Royce plc. He previously served as a Director of the Bank of England and a Non-Executive Director of the Royal Mail.
- Michael J Ryan - Chairman, Business in the Community Northern Ireland Advisory Board. Ryan also serves as is Vice President and General Manager of [[Bombardier Aerospace] in Northern Ireland, is a Board member of Maydown Precision Engineering and Centre for Competitiveness, is a member of the Aerospace Committee at the Department of Trade & Industry, is an SBAC council member, a Fellow member of the Royal Aeronautical Society and a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Ian A Smith - Chairman, Business in the Community South East Leadership Team. Smith also serves as Managing Partner with AndersonBick Consultants LLP. He also serves as is President of the Institute of Customer Service, is on the Executive of the Information Age Partnership, the E-Skills Board and the National Employment Panel and he chairs the Government’s Leadership and Management Panel. He previously served as Senior Vice President and Managing Director of Oracle UK (1999-2008).
- Cilla Snowball - Chairman, Business in the Community Inspire Membership Commitment. Snowball also serves as Chairman and Chief Executive of Abbott Mead Vickers Group (she joined the group in 1992). She is a member of the BBDO Worldwide board and is a trustee of Macmillan Cancer Support. She formerly served Ogilvy & Mather for 9 years until 1992.
- John Spence - Chairman, Business in the Community Finance & Risk Committee. Spence also serves on the Capital Enterprise Board and is a non-executive director at Edrington Limited. He is a governor of the Church Commisioners, is Finance Chair at Chelmsford Cathedral, chairs Blind in Business, Vitalise and Harlow Renaissance Limited, is President of Enable and of the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland and is a trustee of St Paul's Cathedral Foundation. He formerly served Lloyds TSB for 32 years (1973-2005).
- Todd Stitzer. Stitzer also serves as Chief Executive Officer of Cadbury (he joined Cadbury Schweppes in 1983)
- Truett Tate - Tate is also a Chairman and a Group Executive Director with Lloyds Banking Group and is a charter member of TiE UK. His biography describes how he also 'serves on a number of private company Boards'. He is also a board member of In Kind Direct and Opportunity International. He also serves on the Board of Directors with British American Business and the Corporate Leaders' Group on Climate Change convened by the University of Cambridge. He formerly served Citibank and 'and a broad range of entrepreneurial and Board positions in Brazil, Hong Kong, Germany and the USA.' He is described as being 'central to the successful acquisition of HBoS by Lloyds TSB in January 2009'.
- Francesco Vanni d'Archirafi - Joint Chairman, Business in the Community EngageBoard Member, Business in the Community Key Stakeholder. He also serves as Chief Executive Officer of Global Transaction Services, Citibank Europe plc, is on the boards of Mapfre America SA, Clearstream International, [[LCH.Clearnet] and Junior Achievement Worldwide. He is Chairman of Junior Achievement Europe, is Co-Chair of Engage and is a Advisory Board member of Fundación Empresa y Sociedad.
- Michael P Wareing. Wareing also serves as Chief Executive Officer of KPMG International (he joined KPMG in 1973). He is also a Board member of Business Action on Homelessness, is joint Chairman of Project Compass and is Chairman of the Global Partner Network (which is described as being led by Business in the Community)
- Robert Wigley - Deputy Chairman. Wigley also serves as a Non-Executive Director of LCH.Clearnet and the Royal Mail. He is a member of the Court of the Bank of England, the Financial Services Authority’s Senior Practitioner Committee, the Chairman’s Committee of the London Investment Banking Association, the Advisory Council of Business for New Europe and Court of the Guild of International Bankers. He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and of the Royal Society of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce. His previous involvements include chairing the EMEA region for Merrill Lynch.
- John Williams - Board member, Business in the Community Key Stakeholder. Williams of John Williams and Associates is co-founder and former Chairman of the public relations consultancy Fishburn Hedges. He retains his connection with Fishburn Hedges, serving them as a consultant. Williams has also served as Senior Advisor with Shell (1998 to 2003). He is Chairman of Tomorrow’s Company and was formerly Deputy Chair of ChildLine. He was appointed as a Charity Commissioner in 2005.
- Steve Holliday. Holliday also serves as Chief Executive of National Grid plc (he joined then in 2001) and is a Non Executive Director of Marks & Spencer plc (since 2004). Holliday is described as having 'spent much of his early career with Exxon', he also served on the Board of British Borneo Oil & Gas
Former Board of Trustee Directors in 2007
- Sir Michael Rake, KPMG, Chairman of Business in the Community, Board Member, Prince of Wales' International Business Leaders Forum
- Charles Allen CBE
- Ann Beynon, BT Wales, Chairman, Wales Advisory Board
- Amelia Chilcott Fawcett CBE, Morgan Stanley International, Chairman, Workplace Impact Area
- Stuart Etherington, National Council for Voluntary Organisations, Board Member, Key Stakeholder
- Mike Fairey, Lloyds TSB Group plc, Chairman, Race for Opportunity
- Richard Gregory OBE, Yorkshire Bank Plc, Chairman, Business in the Community Yorkshire & Humber
- Christine Hodgson, Capgemini UK, Member, Finance & Risk Committee
- Phil Hodkinson, HBOS plc, Chairman, 'Support & Challenge' Membership Commitment
- David Jackson, BP plc, Chairman, Environment Impact Area
- John Kelly OBE, Chairman, Gala Coral Group Limited, Chairman, ENGAGE Membership Commitment
- Richard Lambert, Confederation of British Industry, Board Member, Key Stakeholder
- Allan Leighton, Chairman, Royal Mail
- Seán Mahon, Cattles Plc, Chairman, Cares
- Carolyn McCall, Guardian Media Group, Chairman, Opportunity Now
- John M. Neill CBE, Unipart Group, Chairman, Audit Committee
- Sir Mervyn Pedelty, FTSE4Good, Board Member, Key Stakeholder
- Ian M. Russell CBE, Chairman, Seeing is Believing Alumni Network
- Michael J. Ryan CBE, Bombardier Aerospace, Belfast, Chairman, Northern Ireland Advisory Board
- Ian A. Smith, Oracle UK, Chairman, South East Leadership Team
- Cilla Snowball, Abbott Mead Vickers Group, Chairman, Inspire Membership Commitment
- John Spence OBE, HMRC, Chairman, Finance & Risk Committee
- Ben Stimson, BSkyB, Chairman, Corporate Responsibility Group
- Francesco Vanni d'Archirafi, Citigroup Global Transaction Services, Joint Chairman, ENGAGE, Board Member, Key Stakeholder
- Robert Wigley, Merrill Lynch International, Chairman, Education Leadership Team
- John Williams, John Williams & Associates, Board Member, Key Stakeholder
In 2009, BITC's Senior Management comprises:
- Stephen Howard - Chief Executive. In 2004/05 Howard became Group Chief Executive of Novar PLC which was sold on to Honeywell in 2005. His previous roles have included serving as a practising lawyer and partner with Alder, Pollock & Sheehan Inc (Providence, USA) and a variety of different roles (including Group Chief Executive) with the Cookson Group PLC.
- Peter Lambert - Deputy Chief Executive.
According to its website, Business in the Community works with companies who make a commitment to a) 'Inspire, innovate and lead by sharing learning and experience of responsible business', b) 'Impact on key social issues through collaborative action in areas of greatest need' and c) 'Integrate, manage and measure responsible business practice'.
In 2009, BITC advertise that they have over 800 members in sectors which includes Aerospace & Defence; Chemicals; Media, Marketing & PR; Mining; Oil & Gas; Pharmaceuticals & Biotech; Tobacco; Utilities, along with retail, food, management consultant, auto industry, education, financial, health, legal, leisure, construction and public service sectors.
- Aerospace & Defence: AWE | BAE SYSTEMS | BVT Surface Fleet Support | Bombardier Aerospace (NI) | Lockheed Martin UK Integrated Systems | NATS | NP Aerospace | Pattonair | QinetiQ Group | Rolls-Royce | TT Electronics | Thales Group | VT Group
- Chemicals: BOC | Croda International plc | Johnson Matthey | Lubrizol
- Media, Marketing & PR: APS Group | Abbott Mead Vickers | Archant | Ascent Media | BBC (NI) | Barques Design | Belfast Telegraph (NI) | Bray Leino | Cambridge University Press | Carat | Channel 4 Television | Chime Communications | Corporate Culture | FremantleMedia | Global Radio | Golley Slater & Partners | Guardian Media Group | ITV* | Ipsos MORI | JT Group | Jobsite UK | Johnston Press (NI) | Leo Burnett | Liverpool Daily Post & Echo | Media Wales | Munro & Forster | Northcliffe Media | Pearson | Quadrant PR | RKCR/Y&R | Random House UK | Real Radio | Reed Elsevier | Shine Group | Stratagem (NI) | The Writer | Thomson Reuters Group | Trinity Mirror | Virgin Media | WPP Group | Yell Group
- Mining & Basic Resources: Anglo American | BHP Billiton | CEMEX | HJ Banks | Lafarge Cement UK | Rio Tinto | UK Coal.
- Oil & Gas: BP* | BP Oil UK (NI) | Calor Gas | Petrofac Services | Shell UK | Total UK | Tullow Oil
- Pharmaceuticals & Biothech: Almac Group (NI) | GlaxoSmithKline | Johnson & Johnson | MediCare Pharmacy Group (NI) | Pfizer | Shire Pharmaceuticals Group | Smith & Nephew
- Tobacco: British American Tobacco* | Gallaher | Imperial Tobacco Group
- Utilities: AES Kilroot Power (NI) | Airtricity (NI) | Anglian Water Group | B9 Energy O&M (NI) | Biwater Services Ltd. | British Energy Group | British Gas Wales | CE Electric UK | Centrica | Drax Power Ltd. | Dwr Cymru Welsh Water | E.ON UK | EDF Energy* | ESB Independent Energy (NI) | ExxonMobil | International Nuclear Services | International Power | Kelda Group* | Magnox North | National Grid* | Northern Ireland Water (NI) | Northumbrian Water | RWE npower* | SITA (NI) | Scottish and Southern Energy | ScottishPower | Sellafield Ltd. | Severn Trent Group | Siemens Metering Services | South Staffordshire Water | Spice Holdings | Springfields Fuels | Thames Water | UES | United Utilities* | Veolia Environnement Group | Wales and West Utilities | Wessex Water
Some of the other members listed in the various other sectors include:
- Bain & Company UK | Baker Tilly | Capgemini (UK) | Cavanagh Kelly (NI) | Deloitte (Deloitte & Touche) | Ernst & Young | Grant Thornton | KPMG | Mazars | McKinsey & Co UK | PKF (UK) | PricewaterhouseCoopers | Audi UK | Bentley Motors | Brawn GP F1 | Cummins Engine Company | Ford Motor Company | Jaguar Land Rover | Toyota Motor Manufacturing (UK) | Balfour Beatty | John Laing | Kier Group | Laing O'Rourke | Rand Group | Bank of America | Bank of England | HBOS (NI) | HSBC Bank | Lloyds Banking Group | N M Rothschild & Sons | Allied Bakeries (NI) | Anglo Beef Processors | Associated British Foods | Britvic Soft Drinks | Cadbury | Coca Cola Bottlers (NI) | Coca-Cola | Danone Dairies UK & Ireland | Diageo | Foyle Meats (NI) | Kraft Foods | Mars UK | McCain Foods (GB) | Muller Dairy (UK) | Nestle Holdings UK | Northern Foods | PepsiCo UK and Ireland | Produce World | SABMiller | Scottish & Newcastle | Tate & Lyle | Wrigley Company | United Biscuits | Warburtons | UK Intellectual Property Office | Adidas UK | Procter & Gamble UK | Unilever | EDS] | IBM | Microsoft | 3M UK | MWH UK | Morgan Est | RSK Group plc | Ringway Group | Siemens | The BSS Group | Unipart Group
* companies listed as being 'premier members'.
The BITC list their 'premier members' as being:
- Accenture | KPMG | Carillion | Barclays | Lloyds Banking Group | Co-operative Group | Aviva | Standard Life | HM Revenue & Customs | Unilever | Eversheds | Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer | Camelot Group | ITV | BP | Royal Mail Group | Alliance Boots | J Sainsbury | Marks & Spencer | Serco Group | BT | British American Tobacco | EDF Energy | Kelda Group | National Group | RWE npower | United Utilities
Lobbying and PR consultants
- Business in the Community About Business in the Community Accessed 4th August 2009
- Business in the Community Membership Accessed 30th July 2009
- Business in the Community About Business in the Community Accessed 4th August 2009
- Business in the Community Board of Trustee Directors Accessed 28th July 2009
- Business in the Community The Board of Trustee Directors accessed January 2007.
- Business in the Community Senior Management Accessed 30th July 2009
- Business in the Community Membership Accessed 30th July 2009