Schering-Plough was created in 1971 through the merger of the Schering Corporation (a pharmaceutical and chemical company) and Plough Inc (a global research-based pharmaceutical firm). Schering-Plough currently operates global business facilities in more than 50 countries across six continents.
In March 2007, Schering Plough announced its intention to purchase Organon BioSciences NV (OBS). Organon was acquired by Schering-Plough on 19 November 2007. Schering-Plough report that 'OBS is comprised mainly of Organon, the human pharmaceutical business, and Intervet, the animal health business. It also includes Nobilon, the human vaccine development unit, and Diosynth, the third-party manufacturing unit of Organon'.
Schering-Plough had global sales of $7.56B and a research and development spend of $1,865M in 2005.
In February 2008, Schering-Plough report the following as their management team
- Fred Hassan - Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer. Hassan's biography reports that he joined Schering-Plough in 2003 and is currently also president of the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Associations. His previous involvements include serving as chairman and chief executive officer of Pharmacia Corporation(1997-2003), executive vice president of Wyeth and held a senior position with Sandoz Pharmaceuticals (now Novartis) as head of its U.S. pharmaceuticals business. Hassan has also served as chairman of the Board of Directors of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) and as chairman of the HealthCare Institute of New Jersey.
- Robert J Bertolini - Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. Bertolini's biography reports that he joined Schering-Plough in 2003 and previous involvements include serving PricewaterhouseCoopers and Coopers & Lybrand.
- Richard S Bowles III - Senior Vice President, Global Quality Operations. Bowles's biography reports that he joined Schering-Plough in 2001 and previously served Merck from 1974 to 2000.
- C Ron Cheeley - Senior Vice President, Global Human Resources. Cheeley's biography reports that he joined Schering-Plough in 2003. Cheeley is also a member of the Schering-Plough Foundation Board of Trustees, a member of the American Benefits Council, the National Academy of Chief Human Resources Officers and serves on the board of directors of the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. His previous involvements include serving as group vice president with the Pharmacia Corporation, as a Director for the Coca Cola Company and as chairman of the board of directors and a member of the executive committee of WorldatWork (1999-2000). Cheeley has also served as chairman of the Conference Board Research Council on Employee Benefits and on the Conference Board Executive Compensation Council.
- Carrie S Cox - Executive Vice President and President, Global Pharmaceuticals. Cox's biography reports that she joined Schering-Plough in 2003. She is a member of the Harvard School of Public Health's Health Policy and Management Executive Council, a member of the Board of Directors of Texas Instruments and is a member of the Board of Overseers of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology. Cox was previously served as Executive Vice President and President of the Global Prescription Business at Pharmacia Corporation (prior to its merger with Pfizer), as Vice President of Women's Health Care at Wyeth and held a variety of positions in market research, sales and product management during a 10-year career with Sandoz Pharmaceuticals (now known as Novartis). Cox is reported to have been listed as one of the "50 Most Powerful Women in Business" on four separate occasions by Fortune magazine and named as "Healthcare Businesswoman of the Year" by the Healthcare Businesswomen's Association
- Thomas P Koestler - Executive Vice President and President, Schering-Plough Research Institute. Koesteler's biography  states that he joined Schering-Plough in 2003. He is reported to be a member of numerous professional associations, involved in community affairs and been published extensively in medical journals (details not disclosed). He also serves as vice chairman and an officer of the Children’s Specialized Hospital Foundation in Mountainside New Jersey. His previous involvements include serving as senior vice president and head of global regulatory affairs for Pharmacia Corporation, as senior vice president for Novartis, as a senior director with Ortho McNeil and as a director of regulatory affairs at Bristol-Myers Squibb.
- Raul E Kohan - Senior Vice President, Corporate Excellence and Deputy Head, Global Animal Health. Kohan's biography reports that he joined Schering-Plough in 1984 and held a variety of senior positions before taking on his current role in 2007. Prior to joining Schering-Plough, Kohan served with Pfizer Inc.
- Ian McInnes - Senior Vice President, Global Supply Chain. McInnes's biography reports that he joined Schering-Plough in 2004. His previous involvements include serving as a Executive Vice President with Watson Pharmaceuticals Inc., as a Senior Vice President with Pharmacia Corporation, and a variety of positions with GlaxoSmithKline, Baxter Healthcare and AstraZeneca.
- Lori Queisser - Senior Vice President, Global Compliance and Business Practices. Queisser's biography reports that she joined Schering-Plough in 2007. Her previous involvements include a variety of positions with Eli Lilly and Company and as an auditor with Ernst & Young.
- Thomas Sabatino Jr. - Executive Vice President & General Counsel. Sabatino's biography reports that he joined Schering-Plough in 2004 and is also a member of the Bar in California, Illinois and Massachusetts. His previous involvements include serving Baxter International Inc., Secure Medical Inc. and Tenet Healthcare Corporation.
- Brent Saunders - Senior Vice President and President, Consumer Health Care. Saunder's biography states that he joined Schering-Plough in 2003. He is reported to be 'a noted speaker on compliance and risk management issues in the health care industry' with 'extensive experience negotiating and implementing corporate integrity agreements with state and federal agencies'. Saunders was previously President and co-founder of the Health Care Compliance Association (which named him 1997 Compliance Officer of the Year). He also served as Chief Compliance Officer for Coventry Health Care (a nationwide managed care organization) and for Thomas Jefferson University and Health System.
- Ruurd Stolp - Senior Vice President and President, Global Animal Health. Stolp's biography reports that he joined Schering-Plough in 2007. Prior to this he served in a variety of roles with Intervet International (which included serving as President).
Partnerships and Affiliations
In 2008, Schering-Plough are listed as a member of the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Associations
The Schering-Plough Foundation
The Schering-Plough Foundation is a grant giving body which targets three major areas: health, education and community initiatives (including social/civic welfare and areas of public policy).
Public Relations and Lobbying
In 2007, Schering-Plough is listed as a client of Brand(X) advertising agency. In their 'Consultancy Profile' on PMLive, Brand(X) descibe themselves as excelling in medical education and media and public relations, which includes 'Market shaping and educational programmes', 'Lobbying', 'Patient group liaison', 'Patient education' and 'Issues preparedness'.
The Schering Plough Better Government Fund is the medium through which political contributions are made to government candidates. In 2007, it is reported that contributions were also given to the Defend America PAC - $5,000, the Biotechnology Industry Organization PAC (BIO PAC) - $5,000, the Consumer Healthcare Products Association PAC (CHPA/PAC) - $2500 and the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) Better Government Committee - $5,000.
Schering-Plough Corporation World Headquarters, 2000 Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth, N.J. 07033-0530 Telephone: (908) 298-4000
- Schering-Plough History of Schering-Plough Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Schering-Plough Worlwide accessed 26th February 2008
- http://www.organon.com/authfiles/index.asp (Organon acquisition details)
- Schering-Plough History of Schering-Plough Accessed 26th February 2008
- Gray, N. (2006) Changing Landscapes: A special Report on the World’s Top 50 Pharma Companies, Pharmaceutical Executive. Available online at: pharmexec.findpharma.com/pharmexec/2005-Pharm-Exec-50-revised/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/354138
- Schering-Plough Management Team Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Fred Hassan Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Robert J Bertolini Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Richard S Bowles Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough C Ron Cheeley Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Carrie S Cox Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Thomas P Koestler Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Raul E Kohan Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Ian McInnes Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Lori Queisser Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Thomas Sabatino Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Brent Saunders Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Ruurd Stolp Accessed 26th February 2008
- Schering-Plough Basic Facts and Figures Accessed 26th February 2008
- International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Associations Members Accessed 11th March 2008
- Schering-Plough Schering-Plough Foundation Accessed 26th February 2008
- PMLive Consultancy Profiles Accessed 26th february 2008
- The Gorlin Group Clients Accessed 20th March 2008
- Schering-Plough 2007 year end contributions report Accessed 26th February 2008