Defence Academy of the United Kingdom
The UK Defence Academy provides Higher Education for personnel in the British Armed Forces, Civil Service, Other Government Departments and service personnel from other nations.
The Defence Academy is headquartered at Shrivenham, Wiltshire and delivers education and training in a number of sites. The majority of training is postgraduate with many courses being accredited for the award of civilian qualifications.
The formation of the Defence Academy consolidated education and training delivered by a number of different establishments into a single organisational and budgetary structure, intended to improve efficiency, reduce duplication of effort and align delivery to defence requirements. The Defence Academy is also responsible for the maintenance of relationships with the UK academic establishment and with military and naval service educational institutions worldwide.
Non technical research is carried out for the development of doctrine and analysis of the international security environment.
Delivery units and locations
Training is delivered by:
- Royal College of Defence Studies (RCDS), Seaford House, Belgravia, London
- Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC), Watchfield, Oxfordshire
- Defence College of Management and Technology (DCMT), Shrivenham, Wiltshire
- Defence School of Finance and Management (DSFM),(Financial management training)
- Armed Forces Chaplaincy Centre (AFCC), Amport House, Amport, Hampshire
- Cranfield University, Academic provider to the Defence College of Management and Technology 
- Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme
- Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College, Loughborough, Leicestershire
Research is carried out by:
The Director of the Defence Academy is a 3 star rank (Vice Admiral, Lieutenant-General, Air Marshal) position which can be filled by any of the three Armed Services.
DDA chairs the Defence Academy Management Board which is comprised the Commandants of the constituent delivery units and Chief of Staff, Defence Academy who also serves as Commanding Officer, Shrivenham Station.
The Management Board report to a Four Star Steering Board and an Advisory Board including academic expertise from the private sector and academia. A customer board at Two Star level represents the customer community.
Academic provision is delivered through partnering agreements with Cranfield University and King's College London.
Facilities management is provided through a Public Private Partnership arrangement with Serco Defence and Aerospace.
On 30 May 2008 Lieutenant General Andrew Graham CBE assumed the post of Director of the Defence Academy, taking over from Lieutenant General Sir John Kiszely, KCB, MC.
Defence Academy advisory board members
Ministry of Defence
- Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup (Chair) Chief of Defence Staff
- Bill Jeffrey Permanent Under Secretary of State for Defence
- Lieutenant General A J N Graham CBE Director Defence Academy
- Professor Sir Andrew Likierman London Business School (LBS) and the Government’s Chief Accountancy Adviser to HM Treasury
- Professor Sir Adam Roberts Montague Burton Professor for International Relations and Fellow, Balliol College, Oxford
- Sir Paul Lever KCMG Chairman of the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies
- Sir David Davies Chairman of the Hazard Forum, former President Royal Academy of Engineering, and former CSA (MOD)
- Sir John Parker Chairman National Grid Transco and former NED of Defence Logistics Organisation
Management Education Sir Peter Gershon Non-executive Chairman of General Healthcare Group, Premier Farnell plc. and Symbian Ltd., and non-executive directorship of HM Treasury.
Science Dr Louise Bennett Strategic and corporate governance. Public and private sector consultancy in exploitation of new technology, risk management including fraud prevention, crowd safety and the ethical dimensions of governance.
Leadership Professor Jonathan Gosling Director of the Centre for Leadership Studies, University of Exeter
- Stephen Jolly , former UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) director of communications from December 2012 until June 2015 took up a research assignment as a senior research fellow in Military Information Operations at the Defence Academy on behalf of the MoD in 2015.
Advisers and fellows
- Professor Gwythian Prins
- ↑ Ref needed
- ↑ Cranfield Defence and Security, Cranfield University Website, accessed 09/02/10
- ↑ Lieutenant General Andrew Graham takes over from Lieutenant General Sir John Kiszely, Defence Academy of the United Kingdom website, accessed 4 Feb 2010
- ↑ Defence Academy Advisory Board Role Membership & Biographies, accessed 20 June 2008