Joint Services Command and Staff College
Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC) is a British military academic establishment providing training and education to experienced officers of the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force, Ministry of Defence Civil Service and serving Officers of other states.
JSCSC combined the single service provision of the British Armed Forces; Royal Naval College, Greenwich, Staff College, Camberley, RAF Staff College, Bracknell and the Joint Service Defence College, Greenwich. Initially formed at Bracknell in 1997 the college moved to a purpose built facility in the grounds of the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom at Watchfield, near Shrivenham and co-located with the Defence College of Management and Technology.
Command, Control and Organisation
The Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC) trains the future commanders and staff officers of all three UK Armed Services and those of many countries around the world, supporting the operational effectiveness of all three Services.
JSCSC is a component of the Defence Academy and the Commandant is a full member of the DA Management Board, reporting to the Director of the Defence Academy. The Commandant is a two-star appointment (Rear Admiral,Major General or Air Vice-Marshal) and can be filled by candidates from each of the three services. Within JSCSC itself each service is represented by a one-star Assistant Commandant (Maritime, Land, and Air), each with responsibility for both single service issues and delivery of training. The Dean of Academic Studies, Professor Matthew Uttley, leads King's College London's Defence Studies Department, which provides theoretical and conceptual academic education in partnership with the military directing staff.
JSCSC is located in a purpose built complex comprising accommodation and teaching wings operated under a thirty year Public Private Partnership arrangement with Serco Defence and Aerospace.
The following have commanded the college:
- 1 September 1997 Major General T J Granville-Chapman
- 4 January 2000 Air Vice-Marshal B K Burridge
- 28 January 2002 Rear Admiral R Lippett
- 3 March 2003 Major General J McColl
- 1 March 2004 Major General N R Parker
- July 2005 Air Vice-Marshal N D A Maddox
- 4 September 2007 Rear Admiral Neil Morisetti
- JSCSC is part of the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom
- Co-located at Shrivenham are:
- Joint Services Command and Staff College
- Faringdon Road
- SN6 8TS
- United Kingdom
- Telephone: 01793 788000
- Telephone International: +44 1793 788000
- ↑ King's College The Defence Studies Department :Defence Studies Department :King's College London
- ↑ Heads of Colleges on RAF web