Development, Concepts and Doctrine Centre
The MoD state: 'The Development, Concepts and Doctrine Centre (DCDC) is a Ministry of Defence think-tank, co-located with the Defence Academy at Shrivenham. The DCDC provides the intellectual bases that inform coherent decisions in Defence policy, capability development and operations, both now and into the future.' The current name was adopted in April 2006.
- The Centre was established as a result of the 1998 Strategic Defence Review ... Originally called the Joint Doctrine and Concepts Centre (JDCC), the name was changed to DCDC in April 2006 when the Centre expanded to become the Defence authority for doctrinal, conceptual and futures work, taking on extra environmental staff to reflect the needs of the individual Services. It is headed by a two-star Serviceman and is a truly Joint establishment, with staff drawn from all three Armed Services and the Civil Service. 
These documents are official statements of MOD Doctrine which relate in part or in whole to information or media operations.
- Campaign Execution - Joint Doctrine Publication 3-00 - Outlines the place in military campaign strategy of "Influence Operations" - involving media operations and information operations
- Media Operations - Joint Doctrine Publication 3-45.1 - Provides guidance to staff involved in media operations in UK military operations
- Security and Stabilisation: The Military Contribution - Joint Doctrine Publication 3-40 - The MODs statement of counterinsurgency (COIN) doctrine, contains a chapter on "Influence Operations" based on the concept of Strategic communication
- Information Operations - Joint Warfare Publication 3-80 - A 2002 statement of Information Operations doctrine published by the Joint Doctrine and Concepts Centre (the previous incarnation of the DCDC)
Chris Butler (also a member of the Insurgency Research Group) | Director Air & Space, Air Cdre Paul Colley | Richard Iron | Major General Tony Milton, the first Director General Joint Doctrine and Concepts Centre | Rear Admiral Chris Parry CBE, Director General of DCDC |
Resources, Contact, Notes
- The Brit Ministry of Defense looks at world’s future - it’s grim. Fabius Maximus Blog28 November 2008.
- Predicting the future: new dawn for the Defence Development, Concepts and Doctrine Centre Wednesday 24 January 2007 13:31 Ministry Of Defence (National), News Distribtion Service News Release.
- Address:Shrivenham, SWINDON SN6 8RF
- Tel: +44 (0)1793 314347
- Fax: +44 (0)1793 314211
- Email: DCDC-CoordSO1@mod.uk
- Web site: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/MicroSite/DCDC/
- MoD DCDC, accessed 1 April 2010
- Development Concepts And Doctrine Centre - What we do, accessed 2 May 2008
- Richard Cobbold My job: Director General Joint Doctrine and Concepts RUSI Journal April 1, 2000