Chief of the General Staff (UK)
The Chief of the General Staff is the professional head of the British Army.
A number holders of this position in recent times have gone on to lucrative jobs in the private arms and securities industries.
Chiefs of the General Staff
- Field Marshal Sir Michael Carver 1971-1973
- General Sir Peter Hunt 1973-1976
- Field Marshal Sir Roland Gibbs 1976-1979
- Field Marshal Sir Edwin Bramall 1979-1982
- Field Marshal Sir John Stanier 1982-1985
- Field Marshal Sir Nigel Bagnall 1985-1988
- Field Marshal Sir John Chapple 1988-1992
- Field Marshal Sir Peter Inge 1992-1994
- General Sir Charles Guthrie 1994-1997
- General Sir Roger Wheeler 1997-2000
- General Sir Michael Walker 2000-2003
- General Sir Michael Jackson 2003-2006
- General Sir Richard Dannatt 2006-2009
- General Sir David Richards 2009-2013
- General Sir Peter Wall 2013 -January 2015
- General Sir Nicholas Carter September 2014-
- Chiefs of staff, Ministry of Defence, accessed 4 June 2010.