Chief of the Defence Staff
Chiefs of the Defence Staff
- Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir William Dickson
- Admiral of the Fleet The Earl Mountbatten of Burma
- Field Marshal Sir Richard Hull
- Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Charles Elworthy
- Admiral of the Fleet Sir Peter Hill-Norton
- Field Marshal Sir Michael Carver
- Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Andrew Humprey
- Admiral of the Fleet Sir Edward Ashmore
- Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Neil Cameron
- Admiral of the Fleet Sir Terence Lewin
- Field Marshal Sir Edwin Bramall
- Admiral of the Fleet Sir John Fieldhouse
- Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir David Craig
- Field Marshal Sir Richard Vincent
- Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Peter Harding
- Field Marshal Sir Peter Inge
- General Sir Charles Guthrie
- Admiral Sir Michael Boyce 2001-2003
- General Sir Michael Walker
- Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup 2006-2010
- General Sir David Richards (born 1952) 29 October 2010- 18 July 2013
- General Sir Nick Houghton (born 1954) 18 July 2013 - 14 July 2016
- Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach (born 1956) 14 July 2016 - 11 June 2018
- General Sir Nicholas Carter (born 1959) 11 June 2018 - present
- In the UK, Sir Jock Stirrup, the Chief of the Defence Staff, invited Strachan and three others to help him shape his thoughts on strategy and draft two speeches which he delivered in December 2009. As a result of those speeches, a Strategic Advisory Panel was set up by the CDS, on which Strachan now serves.
The Mod/Defence Academy does not publish the membership of the committee, the members listed are those that have revealed their membership online.
- Defence Organisation, Ministry of Defence, 29 November 2010.
- REF 2014 Rethinking National Defence Strategy for the Twenty-First Century Submitting Institution University of Oxford, Unit of Assessment History, Impact Case Studies accessed 13 June 2018.
- Defence Academy Development, Concepts and Doctrine Centre, Accessed 13 June 2018.