Villiers was appointed Northern Ireland Secretary in September 2012. She resigned from government in July 2016 amidst Prime Minister Theresa May's extensive cabinet makeover, being replaced by James Brokenshire. 
In the 2015 general election she gained a majority of 7,656 in her Chipping Barnet constituency. 
Pro-fracking and against climate change measures
Villiers has voted against a ban on fracking. She also voted against a bill in 2015 that would have compelled fracking companies to have an environmental permit to carry out potentially environmentally damaging activities. 
Villiers has repeatedly voted against measures to prevent climate change.
Education and career
- Emily Allan 
- Promit Anwar 
- Frances Lasock - Agent/office manager, Chipping Barnet Conservative Association 
- Juliette Jowit, Shiv Malik and Haroon Siddique, Cabinet reshuffle: who has moved so far?, guardian.co.uk, 4 September 2012.
- 'Whos in and whos out? May's new cabinet' 14 July 2016, BBC News, accessed 15 July 2016
- Full list of new cabinet ministers and other government appointments, guardian.co.uk, 13 May 2010.
- Theresa Villiers Express, accessed 19 May 2015
- Theresa Villiers GOV.UK, accessed 30 October 2014
- Bill — New Clause 1 — Environmental Permits for Hydraulic Fracturing Activities, TheyWorkForYou, 25 January 2015, accessed 25 July 2019
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 25 April 2016