Quintiles Transnational Corp.
They provide services to the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and healthcare industries through 3 main groups...
- QUINTILES® product development services - which provides all clinical research aimed at regulatory approval.
- INNOVEX® commercialization - responsible for sales force and medical communication services.
- NOVAQUEST® strategic partnering solutions - to help pharmaceutical and biotech companies optimize portfolio development, company growth and profits.
In 2007, Quintiles joined in partnership with Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. to create a joint venture called Cenduit™, to provide integrated Interactive Response Technology (IRT) services for pharmaceutical and biotechnology product development .
2007 also saw Quintiles join in reseasrch partnership with Institute for Life Sciences Business Economics (iLSBE) at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam. Quintiles state that the 'partnership will drive innovation in healthcare product pricing, reimbursement, market access and sales strategies'.
Quintiles report the following affiliations and partnerships...
- 2005/06 - InterPharma Asia Pacific (parent of drug distributor Zuellig Pharma) and Asia investment company Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited to commercialize products in Asia-Pacific.
- 2006 - alliance with global investment firm TPG-Axon Capital - co-development and co-promotion agreements.
- 2005 - Quintiles completes strategic partnership agreement with Aptuit Inc. where Aptuit acquired three Quintiles business units - Preclinical Services, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Clinical Trial Supplies.
- 2004 - Mitsui and Co. becomes a 20% shareholder in Quintiles Transnational Japan K.K.
- 2003 - merger with Pharma Services Holdings Inc. (founded by Dennis Gillings - Chairman of the Board and founder of Quintiles, and One Equity Partners LLC, the private equity arm of Bank One Corporation) and Pharma Services Holdings Inc.
- 2002 - Quintiles and McKesson Corporation joined together to create Verispan, which describes itself as a 'broad-based service company to meet the vast majority of information and analysis needs' of their clients. Verispan's advertise their clients as including 'virtually all of the Top 50 pharmaceutical companies..., most of the leading biotech and medical/surgical companies, the Food & Drug Administration..., Wall Street, consulting firms and other health care related organizations'. Verispan describe their service as 'leading patient data to target promotion, world-class program execution, and near real-time patient data to assess return on investment, all wrapped with comprehensive contextual audit, profile and other services to provide clients with the true measure of healthcare'.
In 2007, Quintiles announced that its Latin American Subsidiary had purchased Bio-Trials - 'a leading Central American Clinical Research Organization (CRO) with headquarters in Panama and offices in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Ecuador and Peru'.
- 2002 - Quintiles acquires 'certain assets' of Bioglan Pharma Inc. (the U.S. subsidiary of U.K. based Bioglan Pharma Plc)
- 2001 - Quintiles acquires OEC (drug safety services for the pharmaceutical industry)
- 2000 - Quintiles acquires Pharmacia Corporation's clinical development unit in Stockholm, Sweden.
- 1999 - Quintiles acquiresHoechst Marion Roussel's drug development facility in Kansas City; Oak Grove Technologies Inc. (Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) compliance services); Scott-Levin (market information and research services); ENVOY Corporation (healthcare electronic data interchange and data analysis services); Medlab Pty Ltd (South Africa's leading clinical trial laboratory); assets of the Niehaus and Botha (N&B) partnership; Minerva Medical plc (a Scotland-based clinical research organization); SMG Marketing Group Inc. (healthcare market information company); Medcom, Inc. (provider of physician meetings and educational events to help pharmaceutical companies raise awareness of their products among healthcare professionals); MediTrain (pharmaceutical sales representative training company). Medicines Control Consultants Pty Ltd(pharmaceutical regulatory consulting company).
- 1998 - Quintiles acquires Pharma Networks N.V. (contract sales organization); Technology Assessment Group (an international health outcome assessment firm); More Biomedical Contract Research Organization Ltd (contract research organization); T2A S.A. (contract sales organization); ClinData International Pty Ltd (biostatistics and data management company); Cardiac Alert (provider of centralized trans-telephonic electrocardiogram (ECG) monitoring service); The Royce Consultancy plc (pharmaceutical sales representative recruitment and contract sales organization); Data Analysis Systems Inc. (pharmaceutical sales force planning and territory optimization systems); Simirex Inc. and Simirex International Ltd (providers of clinical packaging services for the pharmaceutical industry); Serval (contract sales and marketing company); Q.E.D. International Inc. (provider of integrated product marketing and communication services for the U.S. market).
- 1997 - Quintiles acquires Debra Chapman Consulting Group Pty Limited and the Medical Alliances Australia Pty Limited group of companies (contract sales and healthcare recruiting services); Butler Clinical Recruitment Inc. (communications for accelerated patient recruitment in clinical trials); Medical Action Communications Limited (international strategic medical communications consultancy); CerebroVascular Advances Inc. (clinical research company); Clindepharm International (Pty) Limited (contract research organisation); Rapid Deployment Services (contract sales organization).
- 1996 - Quintiles acquires the assets of the Roche International Clinical Research Centre in Strasbourg, France; PMC Contract Research AB; The Lewin Group, Inc. (health care policy research and management consulting company); BRI International Inc. (contract research organization).
In 2007, Quintiles describe their Executive Committee as comprising...
- Dennis Gillings - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. Gillings is a founding member of Quintiles and currently serves on several boards and councils, including the UNC School of Public Health Dean's Advisory Council; the Graduate Education Advancement Board of the Graduate School of UNC-Chapel Hill; the North Carolina Institute of Medicine; the UNC Health Care Systems; and ICAgen, Inc. He formerly served as the founding Chairman of the Association of Clinical Research Organizations. Gilling has provided consultancy to National Cancer Institute, the National Institute for Dental Research and the Institute of Medicine. He Previously undertook more than 15 years service as professor at UNC-Chapel Hill.
- William Deam - Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer (since 2005). Deam was previously Chief Information Officer for ACNielsen Company and Burmah Castrol.
- Stephen DeCherney - Chief Innovation Officer. DeCherney is also a Professor of Medicine at The University of North Carolina School of Medicine. DeCherney's previous involvements include 5 years with the National Institutes of Health, 11 years with the Christiana Care Health System in Delaware and service as associate professor at both the University of Delaware and Thomas Jefferson University.
- Hywel Evans - President, Quintiles Global Commercialization (with Quintiles since 2000). Evans has served the pharmaceutical industry for 30 years in roles such as medical representative with Schering AG, Managing Director at Novo Nordisk, Managing Director (U.K. and Ireland) at Takeda Pharmaceuticals and Managing Director of Innovex.
- John Goodacre - Executive Vice President and General Counsel. Goodachre is responsible for Quintiles’ global legal function and risk management. He joined Quintiles in 1998 as Vice President, European Legal Affairs based at Quintiles’ Marlow, U.K., office. His initial work with Quintiles focused on acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances outside the United States. In 2000, he was named Vice President, Worldwide Quality Assurance and Risk Management and in 2003 became Senior Vice President, Global Risk Management and Quality Assurance before going on to become Executive Vice President and General Council in 2007.
- Oppel Greeff - Vice Chairman, Operations. Greeff is a founder member of Clindepharm International (which is now part of Quintiles). He was previously Medical Director for Roussel Laboratories (1981 to 1990) and Medical Advisor for Wellcome South Africa, were he undertook commercialization activities for both companies. He joined Quintiles as Medical Director for Quintiles South Africa then went on to become President of Quintiles Transnational's Africa, India, Australia and Latin America regions (in 1999). Greeff become Chief Executive Officer of Quintiles' global Early Development and Laboratory Services and President, Global Product Development Services in 2002 and became Vice Chairman of Operations, in 2007.
- John Ratliff - Chief Operating Officer (since 2006). Prior to this Ratliff served as Chief Financial Officer (since 2004). Previous involvements include work with Acterna and 19 years service with IBM (which included roles as Vice President).
- Mike Troullis - Chief Financial Officer (since 2007). He was previously Chief Financial Officer, Quintiles Europe (from 1992) and serves as Worldwide Controller, Quintiles Transnational Corp. (since 1995). Prior to his involvement with Quintiles, Troullis was Chief Financial Officer-Europe, for The Cooper Companies Inc. and served with KPMG.
- Ron Wooten - Executive Vice President, Corporate Development (since 2003). Prior to this he was Senior Vice President (from 2000). Previous involvements include nine years with First Union Securities (now Wachovia Securities Inc.) where he most recently served as a Managing Director in Investment Banking.
In January 2008, Quintiles report the appointment of Kelly McKee as Executive Director of Operations for the company’s Public Health and Government Services unit. Prior to his new role, McKee served as Senior Director, Medical and Scientific Services (Infectious Diseases) for Quintiles. He also served 20 years with the U.S. Army Medical Department. In the announcement, Quintiles state that...
- “Kelly will play an important alliance management role with government and commercial sponsors as well as Quintiles internal resources,”... “Our team is resourced and committed to assisting pharmaceutical and biotech companies win government contracts to advance public health.” It is also stated that they work to 'enhance readiness to respond to bioterrorism threats'.
In January 2008, Quintiles announced that global private investment firms Bain Capital and TPG Capital become the lead investors in Quintiles, with 3i also joining them as a significant investor. Temasek Holdings is also reported as an investor.
- City of Edinburgh Council Edinburgh Business Directory Accessed 31st December 2007
- Quintiles Transnational Corp. About Us Accessed 1st January 2008
- Bioindustry Association Members Accessed 31st December 2007
- Eli Lilly and Company Alliances Accessed 31st December 2007
- Quintiles Transnational QUINTILES AND THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC CREATE JOINT VENTURE TO PROVIDE INTEGRATED RESPONSE TECHNOLOGY SERVICES Accessed 31st January 2008
- Quintiles Transnational [http://www.quintiles.com/NewsEvents/News/2007/QuintilesConsultingEntersResearchPartnership110707.htm?PostingGuid=%7b51E69AE5-064C-44A2-9990-DE69A7DAD116%7d QUINTILES CONSULTING ENTERS RESEARCH PARTNERSHIP WITH INSTITUTE FOR LIFE SCIENCES BUSINESS ECONOMICS] Accessed 31st January 2008
- Quintiles Transnational Corporation Milestones 2001-2006 Accessed 1st January 2008
- Verispan About Accessed 1st January 2008
- Quintiles Transnational QUINTILES ACQUIRES CENTRAL AMERICAN RESEARCH ORGANIZATION Accessed 31st January 2008
- Quintiles Transnational Corporation Milestones 2001-2006 Accessed 1st January 2008
- Quintiles Transnational Corp. Milestones 1996-2000 Accessed 1st January 2008
- Quintiles Transnational Corp. Executive Leadership Accessed 1st January 2008
- Quintiles Transnational QUINTILES NAMES KELLY MCKEE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS FOR PUBLIC HEALTH AND GOVERNMENT SERVICES UNIT Accessed 31st January 2008
- Quintiles Transnational QUINTILES COMPLETES PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED NEW INVESTOR PARTNERSHIP, CO-LED BY FOUNDER, CHAIRMAN AND CEO DENNIS GILLINGS, BAIN CAPITAL, TPG AND 3i Accessed 31st January 2008