Manny Weiss (Emmanuel Weiss) is the CEO of Marylebone Diversified LLP, a commodities trading advisor in the base metals business, London Metals Exchange futures and options market-making and brokerage.
Weiss was born in Brooklyn, New York.
Weiss has an MA from the City University of New York.
Marc Rich & Co.
Fortune reported in 1988:
- Now in his 30s, Weiss is a close friend and protege of Pinky Green. It was Weiss who did the firm's first metals deal, shortly after joining Marc Rich in 1975 as a teenage messenger in London. That year, while his boss vacationed, Weiss took charge of a telex from an East bloc country requesting zinc. He arranged the shipment, generating a fat profit.
In the mid-1980s, Weiss spearheaded a strategy by which Rich affiliate Clarendon Ltd paid US smelters to process cheap Jamaican alumina during a glut in the market, establishing contractual arrangements which proved immensely profitable once the market recovered.
Weiss later lost at least $25 million by shorting aluminum when the price dipped after the 1987 stock market crash only to recover the following year.
He left the company in 1992.
- Moshe Weiss - brother
- Dean Godson's biography of David Trimble includes a brief reference to 'the ever-bountiful and inspirational Manny Weiss and his family' in the acknowledgements.
- Advisors, Gateway Capital Group, accessed 24 october 2013.
- Weiss slated to retire as managing director of Marc Rich division. (Manny Weiss, Marc Rich and Company AG), American Metal Market, 8 July 1992, archived at Highbeam Research.
- Robert Gordon Kaufman, Henry M. Jackson: A Life in Politics, University of Washington Press, 2011, p.268.
- WHY MARC RICH IS RICHER THAN EVER The U.S. is offering a six-figure bounty for his capture, but that's just pocket money to the fugitive commodities trader who is nearing billionaire status in Europe., Fortune, 1 August 1988.
- Holly Watt, Heidi Blake, Gove raised £30,000 in private donations from City financiers; Cash was secured 'to support Education Secretary's work as an MP, Daily Telegraph, 21 October 2011.
- Henry M. Jackson Foundation Board of Governors, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, accessed 24 October 2013.
- Josh Jackman, Poverty charity’s boycott is like Nazi Germany, says new group, Jewish Chronicle, 19 February 2015
- Dean Godson, Himself Alone: David Trimble and the Ordeal of Unionism, Harper Collins, 2004, p.xx.