(Redirected from M.L.R Smith)
- Dr Michael Rainsborough is Professor of Strategic Theory. He completed his PhD and MA in the Department of War Studies, King's College, London having attained his BScEcon at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth. He joined the Department in 1997 having previously been Senior Lecturer in the Department of History and International Affairs at the Royal Naval College, Greenwich and the Defence Studies Department, Joint Services Command and Staff College. In 1986 he was a Robert Schuman Scholar with the Directorate-General of Research at the European Parliament, Luxembourg. In 1998 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts. In 2006 he received the School of Social Science and Public Policy’s teaching excellence award.
- Fighting for Ireland? The Military Strategy of the Irish Republican Movement, Routledge, 1995;
- ASEAN and East Asian International Relations: Regional Delusion, Edward Elgar, 2006 with David Martin Jones;
- The Strategy of Terrorism: How It Works and Why It Fails, Routledge, 2007.
- He has also published "Concert of Asia? Why there is no substitute for U.S. power" (Policy Review No. 108, August & September 2001) with Nicholas Khoo at the Hoover Institution. 
- co-author of Reinventing Realism: Australian Foreign and Defence Policy at the Millennium (2000);
- co-editor of The Changing Face of Maritime Power (1999) and The Changing Face of Military Power (2002).
- Associate Editor Studies in Conflict and Terrorism.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Strategic Studies, Small Wars and Insurgencies
Resources and articles
- Concert of Asia, Hoover Institution, accessed December 1, 2007.
- Expert, Belfer Center, accessed December 1, 2007.
- Just Journalism Advisory board, Accessed: 20 November 2010