International Crisis Group
International Crisis Group was founded in 1994 by World Bank Vice-President Mark Malloch Brown, former US diplomat Morton Abramowitz and Fred Cuny, an international disaster relief specialist who disappeared in Chechnya in 1995.
- Christopher Patten - Co-Chair
- Thomas Pickering - Co-Chair
- Gareth Evans - President & CEO
- Mark Malloch Brown co-Founder
- Morton Abramowitz co-Founder (former acting president)
- William Shawcross - Board Member
- Martti Ahtisaari - Chairmen Emeritus
- George J. Mitchell - Chairmen Emeritus
- John Prendergast – Senior Advisor
- Jon Greenwald – "vice president of the Brussels-based International Crisis Group"
- Robert Mali – director of the Middle East program
According to Jan Oberg:
A visit to Crisis Group's website reveals that 40% of its funds come from governments:
Agence Intergouvernementale de la francophonie, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic, Holland, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Taiwan, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the UK and the US. Isn't it a bit hard to believe that those who pay the piper would continue to do so, if reports were critical of government policies - Western governments and their conflict "management" in particular?
Foundation and private sector donors
- The Atlantic Philanthropies
- Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Ford Foundation
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- William & Flora Hewlett Foundation
- The Henry Luce Foundation, Inc.
- John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- The John Merck Fund
- Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
- Open Society Institute
- Ploughshares Fund
- Sigrid Rausing Trust
- Sasakawa Peace Foundation
- The Sarlo Foundation of the Jewish Community Endowment Fund
- United States Institute of Peace
- Fundação Oriente
Jan Oberg, The International Crisis Group: Who Pays the Piper?,Transnational Foundation for Peace and Future Research, 15 April 2005.
- Navbahor Imamova, Uzbekistan to Hold Presidential Elections in December, VOA News, 7 November 2007
- US congressman calls for concrete action on Lebanon, Daily Star, 10 November 2007. Article reports that he testified in front of Congress about the situation in Lebanon, but it doesn't identify him correctly.