Naresh Chandra is one of the most senior figures in India's political and corporate landscape. His long career has included being India's Cabinet, Defence and Home Secretary, Ambassador to the US, and chairing committee's on civil aviation and corporate governance. He maintains involvement with several defence corporations and is one of the highest-paid board members in India. He 'independently' directs Vedanta Resources, arms companies BAE Systems and Homeland Security India, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd, Coca-Cola and energy giant Cairn India.
In interview as Ambassador, Chandra observed, "We should avoid wasting time and get on with the business of economic development." This view is reflected by his Naresh Chandra Committee which promotes an agenda of 'economic liberalisation' in India.
Corporate board Membership
- Hindustan Motors Ltd. 2002-present. Independent Non Executive Director, Chairman of Audit Committee, Chairman of Special Committee of Directors and Chairman of Remuneration Committee.
- Balrampur Chini Mills Ltd. 2003-present. Chairman of the Board and Chairman of Remuneration Committee.
- ACC Ltd. 2004-present. Additional Director, Member of Compliance Committee and Member of Audit Committee.
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. 2004-N/A. Consultancy Services Ltd. Former Independent Non-Executive Director, Chairman of Ethics & Compliance Committee, Member of Audit Committee and Member of Remuneration Committee.
- Vedanta Resources 2004-present. Senior Independent Director, Chairman of Remuneration Committee, Chairman of Health, Safety & Environment Committee, Member of Audit Committee and Member of Nominations Committee.
- Gammon Infrastructure Projects Ltd. 2007-present. Independent Director and Member of Audit Committee.
- Eros International Plc 2007-present. Senior Independent Non-Executive Director, Member of Audit Committee and Member of Remuneration Committee.
- Cairn India Ltd. 2007-present. Non-Executive & Independent Director, Chairman of Remuneration Committee and Member of Audit Committee.
- Ambuja Cements Ltd. 2008-present. Additional Independent Non-Executive Director and Member of Compliance Committee.
- Bajaj Finserv Ltd. 2008-present. Non Executive & Independent Director, Member of Audit committee and Member of Remuneration & Nomination Committee.
- Eros International Media Ltd. 2009-present. Non-Executive Chairman, Chairman of Compensation Committee and Member of Audit Committee.
Non-profit and NGO affiliation
- Public Interest Foundation 2008-present. , "[improving] the efficiency of public delivery system.", Governing Council member.
- Aspen Institute India. The Aspen Institute promotes a neo-conservative agenda in India. Chandra sits on its board of Trustees.
- Address: C-4/4053, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi - 110007.
- Phone: 24626001
- Phone: 26897295
- Fax: 24626001
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vivek Sinah, 'Independent directors' fee match salaries paid to CEOs', "India Times", 3 January 2011, accessed 26 July 2011
- 'Naresh Chandra: Executive Profile & Biography', "Bloomberg Businessweek", July 26 2011, accessed July 26 2011.
- 'Profile: Mr. Naresh Chandra', "the-south-asian.com", December 2000, accessed 19 July 2011.
- 'Second Naresh Chandra Committee Report', "icai.org", accessed 25 July 2011
- 'Naresh Chandra: Executive Profile & Biography', "Business Week", 26 July 2011, accessed 26 July 2011
- 'Naresh Chandra on advisory board of BAE Systems', "The Hindu Business Line", 11 September 2009, accessed 26 July 2011.
- 'Homeland Security India Advisory Board', "homelandsecurityindia.in", accessed 24 July 2011.
- 'Naresh Chandra profile', "The Aspen Institute India", accessed 24 July 2011
- 'New Board Members for International Crisis Group', "crisisgroup.org", 29 June 2006, accessed 24 July 2011.
- 'Top 20 rich Indians earn as much as 30 crore people: Jalan', "India Times", 25 January 2008, accessed 26 July 2011
- 'Board of Trustees', "Aspen Institute India", accessed 26 July 2011
- 'Vedanta homepage Management Structure page', "vedantaresources.com", accessed 23 July 2011
- 'Naresh Chandra Report clears civil aviation policy path', "Indian Express", 3 November 2004, accessed 26 July 2011
- accessed July 26 2011