Iain Wright is a British Labour Party politician who was elected MP for Hartlepool in the by-election of September 2004, succeeding Peter Mandelson when he left Parliament to become a European Commissioner.
In October 2011 Wright was appointed Shadow Minister for Competitiveness and Enterprise. 
In the 2015 general election, Wright was re-elected with a majority of 3,024. 
In June 2015 he was elected chair of the House of Commons Select Committee Business, Innovation & Skills.
Stance on fracking
Wright's constituency includes one oil and gas licence blocks, awarded to Third Energy by the Oil and Gas Authority under the 14th licensing round in 2015. There are no plans or applications currently underway. 
Iain Wright has an inconsistent voting record on fracking. 
- 26 January 2015: voted in favour of making fracking companies apply for an environmental permit before conducting exploratory drilling. He was absent for a vote on an amendment to the Infrastructure Bill to include an 18 month moratorium on fracking.
- 11 February 2015: voted against requiring more pre-conditions for where fracking can take place.
- 16 December 2015: absent for a vote on weakening regulations on fracking in protected areas and national parks.
- Labour Friends of Israel, former director
- Associate Parliamentary Group on Business, Finance and Accountancy - Chair 
- British-Belize All-Party Parliamentary Group
- All-Party Parliamentary British-Latin America Group
- Coastal and Marine All-Party Parliamentary Group
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Freight Transport
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Peak Oil and Gas
- All-Party Parliamentary Rail Group
- Parliamentary Space Committee (An All-Party Parliamentary Group) - Vice-chair 
- As of July 2013 Big Four accountancy firm Deloitte provides Wright with an assistant, free of charge, to help draw up Labour's business policy.
- Iain Wright MP promoted in reshuffle, 11 October 2011, acc 2 December 2011
- Iain Wright Express, accessed 19 May 2015
- Oil and gas: licensing rounds, GOV.uk, accessed 14 November 2016.
- TheyWorkForYou | Iain Wright, TheyWorkForYou, accessed 22 December 2016.
- Blair to set goals for Brown PM to consult MPs on Lebanon as advisers insist Labour's future must be agreed before he goes Ned Temko, chief political correspondent, The Observer, Sunday August 27 2006
- Business, Finance and Accountancy APPG Register Feb 16, www.parliament.uk, accessed 19 February 2016
- Rail APPG,www.parliament.uk, accessed 16 November 2015
- Space APPG Register Feb 16, www.parliament.uk, accessed 19 February 2016