Hydra Associates was a media consultancy firm providing strategic advice to media and entertainment companies. The company was founded in 1987 by John Cummins and was based in the West end of London. Hydra Associates shared an office with SRU Ltd, the media company co-founded by Peter York (Peter Wallis) and Dennis Stevenson. Hydra operated as strategy consultants for high profile media companies like BT and the BBC. Broadcaster Peter Wallis was chairman of the company from 1987-1999. Blairite former Labour MP James Purnell worked for Hydra Associates between 1992-1994.
Scotland on Screen
Hydra Associates published the report "Scotland on Screen: the Development of the Film and Television Industry in Scotland". It was published on 18 April 1996, at a cost of £125,000.
- Stephen Lovegrove, Permanent Secretary of UK Department of Energy and Climate Change since February 2013, worked for Hydra between 1990-94
- Hydra Associates Ltd
- 78-80 St John Street
- EC1M 4HR
- Nicola Hobday, Hawkpoint buys consultant Hydra, Daily Deal, Nexis UK, 25-January-2001, Accessed 07-August-2009
- Hydra Associates, Address, Touch Local, Accessed 08-August-2009
- Companies House (Hansard), HC Deb 30 November 1992 vol 215 c29W, House of Commons, Accessed 09-August-2009
- Guardian Media, YOOF'S REBEL ROUSERS: NETWORK 7'S CLASS OF '87, The Guardian, Nexis UK, 12-May-1997, Accessed 08-August-2009
- Peter York (Wallis), Broadcasters, Capel & Land, Accessed 08-August-2009
- James Purnell, Biography, James Purnell MP, Accessed 08-August-2009
- James Douglas-Hamilton, Film Industry (Hydra Associates), House of Commons, Accessed 07-August-2009