American Friends of Libi
American Friends of Libi is the American affiliate of the Libi Fund founded during the second intifada:
- The US chapter was established in Boston by small group of concerned people at the height of the second intifada. Their initial goal was supplying protective gear for the soldiers battling terrorism. Chapters and activists have spread throughout the country.
Other friends of Libi groups exist in Canada, France, South Africa and Mexico. According to the American Friends of Libi the formation of two further Friends of Libi groups in the UK and Argentina is in process.
Sponsoring Tours of IDF Soldiers
In March 2015, American Friends of Libi and Chabad co-sponsored an event held at the University if Miami. At the event IDF Captain Oron Kalmanzon spoke of his experiences on during Operation Protective Edge (Israel's 2014 assault on the Gaza strip). The event was part of a larger tour organised by American Friends of Libi which saw Kalanzon speak to audiences in Miami FL, Columbus OH, Livingston NJ, Fairfield CT, Boston MA and Washington DC. Director John Grossman was present at the Miami event and remarked that:
- It was incredible to hear what it was really like fighting in Gaza this summer... Hearing Captain Kalmanzon was nothing like what you heard on TV or read in the newspapers... Everywhere he went Captain Kalmanzon impressed people with his moving stories from the front lines. Even though the war has been over for six months, people had so many questions which shows just how connected and concerned American Jews, and non-Jews, are for the welfare of Israel’s soldiers... I’m happy we had the chance to educate more people about just how strong and moral the Israeli army is. With army officers like Captain Kalmanzon, we can rest easier at night knowing that the State of Israel is in kind and capable hands.
As part of his tour Kalmanzon met with Christian Zionists such as Lois Petty of Christian Friends of Israel.
'Stay at Home Gala Event'
<youtube size="medium" align="right" caption="Beneath The Helmet: Official Trailer">AO9r_FjYhfY"</youtube>
In March 2015 the organisation launched a 'Stay at Home Gala Event' to raise funds for the IDF. In an apparent dig at the elaborate gala fundraisers of the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces Director John Grossman commented that:
- Many other organizations are throwing over the top, extravagant dinners... We wanted to show our supporters how far we go to keep our costs down to pass along as much as possible directly to the soldiers, so were hosting a stay at home dinner.
As part of the event the American Friends of Libi partnered with Jerusalem U to offer free online viewing of an IDF feature film, 'Beneath the Helmet', to donors. Remarking on the film John Grossman commented that:
- Opponents of Israel paint a grim picture of Israel’s men and women in uniform. But beneath every helmet there is an untold story. It is this story that the film seeks to share and its our privilege to be sharing this important film with the supporters of the Israeli army.
The Shaldag Foundation is an Israeli organisation which raises funds for the Shaldag Unit, an elite commando unit of the Israeli Air Force. American donations to the foundation are made through the American Friends of Libi.
Funding and Finances
|Revenue of American Friends of Libi in $|
|Foundation Donors to American Friends of Libi. Amounts in US$.|
|Abner Levy Foundation||-||-||0||0||0||10,000||0||0||26||26||0||0||10,052|
|Charles K. and Patricia F. Ribakoff Charitable Trust||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||10,000||0||0||0||-||10,000|
|Davis Family Charitable Foundation||-||-||-||-||0||0||0||0||0||10,000||0||0||10,000|
|Education Foundation for Old Safed||-||-||-||-||-||0||0||0||0||0||0||10,000||10,000|
|Hahn Family Foundation||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||500||0||0||0||0||500|
|Jack N. and Lilyan Mandel Foundation||0||0||0||50,000||25,000||25,000||0||25,000||0||0||0||0||125,000|
|Jacobson Family Foundation Trust||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||365,000||0||510,000||20,000||895,000|
|Jane and Daniel Och Family Foundation||-||-||-||-||-||-||0||0||0||0||125,000||185,000||310,000|
|Jewish Communal Fund||0||0||0||0||180||180||0||0||0||0||5,100||5,300||10,760|
|Jewish Community Foundation of San Diego||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||10,000||0||0||-||10,000|
|Lizzie and Jonathan M. Tisch Foundation||0||0||0||0||1,000||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1,000|
|Klarman Family Foundation||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||50,000||175,000||175,000||175,000||25,000||600,000|
|Lee Perelstine Kagan Charitable Trust||0||0||0||1,000||1,000||0||620||500||500||500||0||0||3,000|
|Louis Leibowitz Memorial Charitable Trust||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1,000||1,000|
|Peter Singer Foundation||0||0||0||0||500||0||0||200||0||200||0||0||900|
|Raymond Klein Charitable Foundation||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||50,000||50,000|
|Richard and Ellen Sandler Family Foundation||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||6,000||0||0||-||6,000|
|Robert Cohn and Ruth Cohn Family Foundation||-||0||0||0||0||0||0||750||0||0||0||0||750|
|Robert and Susan Weiss Family Foundation||-||-||-||-||-||-||0||10,000||0||1,000||0||-||11,000|
|Spencer Raphael Jaffe Charitable Foundation||0||0||0||0||5,000||0||0||575||500||1,000||500||0||7,575|
|Stephen B. Klein Charitable Foundation||-||-||-||0||0||0||0||0||25,000||0||0||0||25,000|
|Weiss Charitable Foundation||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||50,000||50,000|
Directors (Circa 2013)
Dr. John Grossman (Chairman) | Shimshon Erenfeld (Vice Chairman and Treasurer) | Paul Lipof (Director) | Yael Lipof (Director) | Bernice Heinstein (Director) | Betty Feldman (Director) | Robert Finkel (Director) | Nazy Nazarian (Director) | Sarah Biser (Director) | Howard Furmansky (Director) | David Golden (Director) | Rabbi Mendy Fellig
Staff (Circa 2015)
Dr. John Grossman (Chairman) | Shimshon Erenfeld (Vice Chairman) | David Golden | Paul Lipof
- The Libi Fund
- Address Circa 2013:
- 420 Harvard Street
- Brookline, MA
- Phone: (617) 738 0500
- Website: http://friendsoflibi.org/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/LIBIUSA
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/friendsoflibi
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 American Friends of Libi Website Our Partners. Accessed 19 March 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Danielle Reisman, 'IDF Tour of Duty: Six American Cities in Six Days', Breaking Israel News, 9 March 2015, accessed 5 June 2015.
- ↑ Staff, 'Israeli Soldier speaks to groups across the United States on Operation Protective Edge', The Jewish Link, 9 March 2015, accessed 5 June 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Danielle Reisman, 'New IDF Film Featured at LIBI “Stay at Home Gala Event” [VIDEO]', Breaking Israel News, 16 March 2015, accessed 29 May 2015.
- ↑ Shaldag Foundation Website Homepage English. Accessed 5 June 2015.
- ↑ Shaldag Foundation Website Donors from USA. Accessed 5 June 2015.
- ↑ Data compiled from filings of Form 990s 2004 - 2013.
- ↑ Data compiled from filings of Form 990s 2004 - 2013.