Welcome to the Powerbase— Alcohol Portal, a guide to the activities of the alcohol industry and associated topics.
Current Worldwide Alcohol Consumption Among Adults, "ChartsBin Statistics Collector" Accessed 3rd October 2011 
The alcohol portal aims to examine governance processes in the area of alcohol and public policy. The range of problems associated with alcohol within society demonstrates why governance and policy is so important to public health in this area and to society more generally. The portal aims to make connections between the alcohol industry, public policy makers and their relationships with the media, scientists and current research and debates within the field. The fragmented nature of the framework of the multi-level governance structures that govern alcohol are also outlined in order to assess alcohol industry involvement within public health policy circles. The overriding aim of this portal is to highlight relationships between elected and non-elected actors within this field.
You can see all pages on Alcohol here. The portal focuses in large part on the most important policy actor - the Alcohol Industry and its personnel, and in particular tries to uncover the links between the industry, Alcohol Lobby Groupsand Alcohol Lobbyists and PR people. We also focus on the Alcohol NGO's. Often poorly funded and struggling to raise public health issues against the plethora of other Alcohol Policy Groups and indeed the often covertly industry funded Alcohol Front Groups. Lastly we also focus on the science of alcohol and examine the role that Alcohol Science and Scientists play in the policy process.
Powerbase has a policy of strict referencing and is overseen by a Managing editor and a Sysop and several Associate Portal editors. The Editor of the Alcohol Portal is Claire Harkins claire.harkins AT powerbase.info.
Booze in the News
Priority pages on Alcohol
Priority Companies:Just how big are these corporations? At least two are still owned by the founding families. Do all of these firms engage in high level lobbying? Would love to know!
- Leo Hickman, 6th May 2012, The Guardian Diageo to end funding of Heartland Institute after climate change outburst
- Lucy Britner, 13th February 2012, WSTA: Scrap alcohol tax hike to give businesses an Olympic boost, Drinks International
- Eurocare, 13th February 2012, European Commission says minimum pricing on alcohol is not impossible
- Bloomberg News, 14th February 2012, Carlsberg Looks for Acquisitions in Asia as Europe Stagnates
- Big Alcohol are reducing the alcohol volume in key products by 0.2% in order to pay less duty to the UK exchequer. Daily Mail, 22 January 2012, Taxbeater! Stella and Budweiser cut alcohol levels in bid to save millions of pounds in duty hikes, Mirror, 22nd January 2012, Alcohol content of top beers Budweiser, Stella Artois and Beck's cut to save cash