Sven Hughes is a former advertising copywriter and British Army psyops reservist and has been the the chief executive of London-based strategic communications firms Verbalisation, Global Influence and Enigma Strategic Communications.
Hughes is also founder and CEO of Verbalisation, 'a Whitehall-based agency staffed largely by ex-military personnel and political campaigners. It’s ultra-discreet and does not boast about its clients but he will say, possibly because of my media hat, that recent clients include the FT and Dow Jones. Verbalisation’s thinking lay behind the Quilliam Foundation’s short film Not Another Brother, aimed by the counter-extremism think-tank at persuading young Muslims not to join IS.'
Hughes does not mention his role at Global Influence on his LinkedIn page.
- Chief Executive Officer Enigma Strategic Communications Ltd Oct 2019 – Present, London, United Kingdom
- Chief Executive Officer Verbalisation Aug 2011 – Sep 2019, London, United Kingdom. Accounts: General Motors, Diageo, First Direct, Primark, itsu, giffgaff, FCO, US State Department, DMG, News UK, Financial Times, Nuon Energy, Samsung, NATO, Thames Water, Quorn, Freeview, Welsh Water, WSJ, Jersey Finance, JTI, Quilliam and Welsh Government.
- New Century Media Head Of Elections. Dates Employed Oct 2010 – Aug 2011 Strategic, creative and management lead on election campaigns for various governmental clients.
- SCL Group Head Of Elections. Dates Employed May 2009 – Oct 2010. Strategic, creative and management lead on election campaigns for various governmental clients.
- Grey Group Associate Creative Director. Dates Employed Aug 2007 – May 2009. Accounts: BAT (Kent, Lucky Strike, Dunhill etc.) and Heineken (James Bond film marketing).
- Phoenix plc Associate Creative Director. Dates Employed Nov 2003 – Aug 2007 Accounts: Motorola, Thales, First Choice, GMAC-RFC, Interbay, David Wilson Homes, ZIP, Laing Homes, National Guarantee, Crest Nicholson, Chase De Vere and Vogue Interiors.
- ISAF PsyOps Consultant Dates Employed Nov 2006 – May 2007 Location Afghanistan. The development and dissemination of PsyOps products within the South of Afghanistan. Aiding the development of the overall PsyOps strategy in line with the Commander’s intent. Full integration with military staff from 22 countries. Leadership of local assets. NATO medal.
- Burrows Senior Copywriter. Dates Employed Jun 2002 – Nov 2003. Accounts: Ford, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mazda, Volvo and Land Rover.
- Freelance Copywriter, Dates Employed Jun 2000 – Jun 2002. Agencies: M&C Lida, Bates Dorland 141, Publicis Dialog, Interfocus and Brann Worldwide. Accounts: The Woolwich, Dreamcast, Manchester United / Eurobet, Pedigree Chum and Whiskas.
- EHS Brann Junior Copywriter Dates Employed Jun 1997 – Jun 2000. Accounts: Guinness, Guinness Draught In Cans, Guinness Original, Glenfiddich, Peugeot, Unilever (Comfort, Radion, Surf & Dove), Cadbury’s and Alliance & Leicester.
- Brewers Productions, Commercials Director. Dates Employed Jun 1996 – Jun 1997 Client agencies: TBWA, Bates, Euro WNEK Gosper and Sony.
- 27 July 2011 - 25 November 2019 - Verbalisation Ltd Correspondence address 2nd Floor Shaw House 3, Tunsgate, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3QT Appointment of a voluntary liquidator 25 Nov 2019. Last accounts made up to 31 March 2018, (Previous company names TALK TORQUE LTD. 21 Jul 2011 - 11 Dec 2012). Other directors Michael Raimes Jones
- 27 February 2014 - 24 April 2018 - Petrushka Limited Company number 08914099. Registered office address Ward House, 6 Ward Street, Guildford, GU1 4LH. Company status Dissolved on 24 April 2018. Last accounts made up to 28 February 2016. Other directors Michael Raimes Jones | Olga Kurushina. Petruska submitted accounts as a 'dormant' company for 2015 and 2016 and thus is claimed by its directors never to have traded significantly.
- 29 April 2016 - present - Influenceglobal Ltd - Trading as Global Influence. Registered office address 9 Whitehall, London, United Kingdom, SW1A 2DD. Company status Active. Incorporated on 29 April 2016. Last accounts made up to 30 April 2018. Other directors Michael Raimes Jones
- 4 September 2019 - present Enigma Strategic Communications Ltd Company number 12188078. Registered office address: Unit 3 Merchant, Evegate Business Park, Ashford, Kent, England, TN25 6SX (Previous names Verbalisation Consultancy Ltd 04 Sep 2019 - 09 Oct 2019). Other directors Olga Kurushina
Global Influence Sven Hughes - RUSI Speech, 14 June 2016.
- Chris Blackhurst Sven Hughes: The Army reservist using psychological warfare to rethink marketing: Dissuading young Muslims from joining IS is just one campaign of the ex-soldier's consultancy Verbalisation Evening Standard, Friday 16 October 2015 13:28.
- LinkedIn Sven Hughes Archived 24 March 2020.
- Companies House Petrushka: Filing History. Accessed 1 April 2020.