Paul R Pillar is an author and a former US intelligence officer.
- A.B. summa cum laude (1969) Dartmouth College, Government
- B.Phil. (1971) Oxford University, Politics
- M.A. (1975) Princeton University, Politics
- Ph.D. (1978) Princeton University, Politics
Biography from the Strategic Studies Institute of the US Army War College:
PAUL R. PILLAR was appointed National Intelligence Officer for the Near East and South Asia in October 2000 upon returning to the Intelligence Community from the Brookings Institution, where he was a Federal Executive Fellow. He joined the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in 1977 and has served in a variety of analytical and managerial positions, including chief of analytic units covering portions of the Near East, the Persian Gulf, and South Asia. He previously served in the National Intelligence Council as one of the original members of its Analytic Group. Dr. Pillar has been Executive Assistant to the CIA’s Deputy Director for Intelligence and Executive Assistant to Director of Central Intelligence (DCI) William Webster. He headed the Assessments and Information Group of the DCI Counterterrorist Center, and from 1997 to 1999 was Deputy Chief of the Center. Dr. Pillar is a retired officer in the U.S. Army Reserve. He served on active duty in 1971-73, including a tour of duty in Vietnam. He is the author of Negotiating Peace (Princeton, 1983) and Terrorism and U.S. Foreign Policy (Brookings, 2001; second edition, 2004). Dr. Pillar received an A.B. summa cum laude from Dartmouth College, a B.Phil. from Oxford University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. from Princeton University.
- National Intelligence Council
- Brookings Institution
- Georgetown University - Visiting Professor
- Council on Global Terrorism - Member
- Paul R Pillar, Terrorism and U.S. foreign policy (Brookings Institution Press, 2001) (ISBN: 0815700040; 9780815700043)
- Paul R Pillar, Negotiating peace: war termination as a bargaining process (Princeton University Press, 1983) (ISBN: 0691076561; 9780691076560)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org