Ministry of Strategic Affairs (Israel)
In July 2007, The Jerusalem Post reported that Nativ had been brought under the ministry's aegis and was seeking to expand its activities outside the former Eastern Bloc. In January 2008, it was reported that the Ministry had responsibility for Israeli policy towards Iran.
The Ministry was closed down in April 2008, three months after the departure of Lieberman from the Government, with most of its responsibilities returning to the Defense Ministry and the National Security Council (NSC), except for Nativ which returned to the Prime Minister's Office.
Itamar Marcus, the director of Palestinian Media Watch, said in March 2010, he had been in touch with the Ministry's director-general Yossi Kuperwasser, about work on an index on Palestinian incitement.
- The proposal discussed by the ministers was prepared by Yossi Kuperwasser, Director of the Ministry for Strategic Affairs, which is headed by Steinitz. Also present were representatives of the Mossad, Shin Bet and the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT).
The International Business Times reported:
- Steinitz reportedly laid out a plan for a media war against organisations who engage in boycotts. The Hebrew-language newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth reported that his strategy features Israeli intelligence vowing to expose "their connection to terror organisations and enemy states".
Haaretz reported in April 2015 the existence of a letter by Foreign Ministry Director-General Nissim Ben-Sheetrit, which made comments to the effect that 'in recent years, issues like the diplomatic efforts to foil Iran’s nuclear program, the campaign against the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement (BDS), as well as strategic dialogue with the United States, have all been transferred to the Strategic and Intelligence Affairs Ministry'.
Ministers of Strategic Affairs
Directors-General of the Strategic Affairs Ministry
Directors of the Regional Affairs Division
- Formerly Sima Shine
- Gil Hoffman, Herb Keinon And Yaakov Katz, Lieberman devises plan to bypass Peretz, Jerusalem Post, 4 December 2006.
- Haviv Rettig, German Jews fear Israeli agency will cause rift in community, Jerusalem Post, 9 July 2007.
- Yaakov Katz, Mark Weiss and AP, Unacceptable' IAEA report on Iran is further proof that ElBaradei is pro -Iranian Lieberman tells 'Post', Jerusalem Post, 16 November 2007.
- Herb Keinon, Strategic Affairs Ministry shut down, Jerusalem Post, 14 April 2008.
- Yaakov Katz, 'Who's in charge of whom and over what?', Jerusalem Post, 3 Post 2009.
- Herb Keinon, 'Security cabinet to discuss issuing of Palestinian incitement 'report card'. PA reportedly cancels ceremony to name public square after terrorist', Jerusalem Post, 11 March 2010.
- Omar Barghouti, Why the boycott movement scares Israel, New York Times, 1 February 2014.
- Herb Keinon, Netanyahu convenes strategy meeting to fight boycotts, Jerusalem Post, 10 February 2014.
- Gil Ronen, Leftist Ministers Kept Out of Secret Cabinet BDS Session, Israel National News, 10 February 2014.
- Gianluca Mezzofiore, Israel Prepares Media War Against Boycott Movement, International Business Times, 11 February 2014.
- Barak Ravid, Mossad trying to take on diplomatic-security issues, claims Foreign Ministry chief, Haaretz, 16 April 2015.