Michael Howard (UK Politician)
Michael Howard (Lord Howard of Lympne) is a Conservative member of the House of Lords, was an MP for 27 years and is the former leader of the Conservative Party.
Howard is chairman of Soma Oil & Gas, a London-based company looking for oil in Somalia. In 2014, ahead of an exploration, he contacted UK officials about security issues as there is a United Nations arms embargo that prohibits bringing guns into Somalia waters and the company providing the exploration boats demanded armed security. The company were given permission to carry arms without violating the embargo, a decision which conflicting with U.N.'s position. Some eventually found a loophole in the embargo and hired Somalis to carry weapons on the boat.
- Senior adviser, Canaccord Genuity Limited (formerly Hawkpoint Partners Limited) (corporate finance)
- Member, advisory board, Orca Exploration Group Inc (explores for and produces natural gas)
- Non-executive chairman, Entrée Gold Inc (exploration and mining)
- Non-executive chairman, Soma Oil & Gas Holdings Limited
- Non-executive director, Soma Oil & Gas Exploration Limited
- Non-executive director, Soma Management Limited
- Member, United Kingdom-United Arab Emirates All-Party Parliamentary Group
- Honorary Patron JNF UK