Jonathan Paisner is a solicitor with Mathias Gentle Page Hassan LLP, the founder of LMN Capital Partners Limited and a consultant to NetScientific plc and Howard KennedyFsi. He got a start in law working at Berwin Leighton Paisner a firm set up his grandfather, Leslie Paisner as Paisner & Co, and is now run by Jonathan’s father, Harold and uncle Martin.
Education and personal life
Paisner attended the University of Oxford, holding an MA and a degree in French. In 1987 he was a member of the board of benefactors at Christ Church, one of the colleges at the University of Oxford.
Paisner qualified as a lawyer in 1997 whilst working at his grandfather’s company Berwin Leighton Paisner, working there for three years in their corporate department before taking up a role in-house as general counsel and main board director of investment bank Shore Capital.
From September 2003 to December 2010 Paisner was a main board director of Shore Capital Group plc, where he acted as a director of the Group’s principal finance and asset management divisions, co-head of the Group’s German office, secretary and group legal counsel. Whilst at Shore he sat on numerous boards within the company, playing a key part in all areas the group’s activities, covering sectors including hotels, real estate, hedge funds as well as venture capital and private equity funds. Shore Capital Group say that they are ‘a leading market-making business’ who offer ‘innovative corporate advice’.
Paisner was also a director at Puma Investments, a member of Shore Capital Group. At Puma Investments he has been involved in their venture capital trusts (VCTs), ‘which work towards providing funding and expertise for smaller companies’. Puma started their VCTs in 1995 and Paisner worked on project number two (January 2005 to October 2008), number three (November 2005 to October 2008) and number four (November 2005 to October 2008).
In September 2009 Paisner was named as being on the guest list for the Conservative’s premier political dinner, which gives those in the private sector a chance to influence the party. Also on the list were senior officials of Goldman and Sachs, Landsdowne Hedge Fund, the head of hedge fund CQS, Conservative peers and former aides.
Paisner, like his, father and uncle is involved in charity work as trustee to a number of Israel-linked charities. The table below lists all the charities. It should be noted that many of these are in fact a 'linked' charity, meaning that each is effectively a subsidiary of one main charity the Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
British Friends of the Hebrew University
The British Friends of the Hebrew University (BFHU) is a national charity set up to support and promote the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The charity provides funds for the University to support students and academics, to fund research projects and promote opportunities to study at the University.
According to the BFHU website, the members of the board are; Jenny Arwas, the non-executive director of Employment Opportunities, board member of the Prince’s Trust London Council and member of the Spanish and Portugese Synagogue; Graham Edwards, a director at a number of companies and charities including OneVoice Europe, who try to build bridges between pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian communities in Europe and support the work of OneVoice Israel, OneVoice Palestine and OneVoice US; Isaac Kaye, a donor to the Labour Party, member of Labour Friends of Israel and a key-backer to British Israel Communications and Research Centre; Jonathan Marks; Tony Page; Alan Philipp (treasurer), former treasurer of Jewish Care, chairman of the Jewish Care Pension Fund and sits on the board of the Anglo-Jewish Association; Marc Polonsky, a partner of law firm White & Case, trustee of the Polonsky Foundation, member of the board of the Van Leer Jerusalem Institute and governor of the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies (N.B Martin Paisner is a trustee and Berwin Leighton Paisner provide legal advice to the centre); Margo Schwartz; Elad Shraga, the global head of credit solutions group Deutsche Bank and Joe Smouha QC.
Trustees to the charities, listed by ‘’Open Charities’’, are; Bernard Myers, a special adviser and former managing director of N M Rothschild & Sons Limited, director of Rothschild Bank AG, an associate governor of the Hebrew University and member of the Jewish Leadership Council; Isaac Kaye; Jonathan Marks; Margo Schwartz; Alan Philipp; Howard Shore, who, like Jonathan Paisner, is a director of Shore Capital Limited, UK Group of Hotels Plc and Puma Nominees Limited and a director of The Weizmann Institure Foundation, that Martin Paisner is chairman of; Henry Gabay and Jonathan Paisner.
In May 2008, Geoffrey Simmonds, a former trustee of the BFHU until 2005, called for the Charity Commission to investigate its handling of millions of pounds worth of donor funds. Simmonds claimed the university had been missing out on funds because the charity had been deducting money for management costs. The charity's chairman Brent Isaacs defended the policy and added that the president of the university, the Friends' trustees and the Charity Commission have expressed themselves comfortable with the arrangements.
|Company name||Dissolved?||Role||Date of Appointment||Date of resignation|
|L M N Capital Partners Limited||No||Director and Secretary||14/01/2014||14/01/2014|
|Chic Retreats Limited||No||Director||08/05/2013||31/12/2013|
|Bracken Partners Group Limited||Yes – 25/12/2009||Director||05/04/2002||14/10/2002|
|Stirling Highland Hotel Limited||No||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital (Japan) Limited||No||Secretary||11/05/2007||31/12/2010|
|Puma VCT Plc||Yes – 14/04/2013||Secretary||10/01/2005||02/10/2008|
|Shore Capital Treasury Limited||No||Director||15/01/2009||13/12/2010|
|Old Ship Hotel (Brighton) Limited||No||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
|Paramount Hotels Limited||No||Director||04/12/2008||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital Markets Limited||No||Secretary||17/12/2003||31/12/2010|
|Lygon Arms Hotel Limited||Yes – 16/02/1993||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital Limited||No||Director||21/09/2005||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital Limited||No||Secretary||25/07/2005||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital Management Limited||No||Secretary and director||02/11/2007||31/12/2010|
|Furlong Hotels Limited||No||Director||10/12/2009||31/12/2010|
|Paramount Hotels Group Limited||No||Director||10/11/2008||31/12/2010|
|Charterhouse Stockbroker Limited||No||Secretary||04/09/2003||31/12/2010|
|Carlton Hotel (Edinburgh) Limited||No||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
|LMN Capital Limited||No||Director and Secretary||20/07/2011||-|
|Paramount Hotels (Daventry) Limited||No||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital Group Plc||No||Secretary and Director||04/09/2003||31/12/2010|
|UK Group of Hotels Plc||No||Director||22/07/2008||31/12/2010|
|UK Group of Hotels Plc||No||Secretary||04/06/2004||31/12/2010|
|The Fabedit Limited||No||Director||06/07/2012||-|
|Furlong Cotswolds Limited||No||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
|St Peter Port Capital Limited||No||Secretary||11/06/2007||31/12/2010|
|Paramount Hotels Investments Limited||No||Director||04/12/2008||31/12/2010|
|UK Hotels (Finance) Plc||No||Secretary||02/07/2004||31/12/2010|
|Paramount Hotels Services Limited||No||Director||04/12/2008||31/12/2010|
|Scottish Highland Hotels Limited||No||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
|St Peter Port Investment Limited||No||Secretary||11/06/2007||31/12/2010|
|Paramount Hotels (Hinckley) Limited||No||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
|St Peter Port Investment Management Limited||No||Secretary||11/06/2007||31/12/2010|
|Paramount Hotels Holdings Limited||No||Director||04/12/2008||31/12/2010|
|Combe Grove Manor Hotel & Country Club Hotel||Yes||Director||01/10/2008||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital International Limited||No||Director||11/07/2006||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital International Limited||No||Secretary||04/09/2004||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital Fund Administration Services Limited||No||Secretary||04/09/2003||31/12/2010|
|Paramount Hotels (Basingstoke) Limited||No||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
|Puma VCT II Plc||Yes – 14/04/2013||Secretary||10/01/2005||02/10/2008|
|Puma VCT IV Plc||No||Secretary||30/11/2005||02/10/2008|
|Shore Capital Corporate Services Limited||No||Director||07/10/2009||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital Finance Limited||No||Director||06/12/2007||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital Investments Plc||No||Director||18/03/1009||31/12/2010|
|Shore Capital Group Plc||No||Director||11/05/2005||31/12/2010|
|Puma Brandenburg Limited||No||Director and Secretary||16/02/2006||29/11/2010|
|Puma VCT III Plc||Yes – 22/02/2014||Secretary||30/11/2005||02/10/2008|
|Shore Capital Trading Limited||No||Director||14/07/2008||31/12/2010|
|Puma Nominees Limited||No||Secretary||06/05/2005||31/12/2010|
|Paramount Hotels Walton Hall Limited||No||Director||10/02/2009||31/12/2010|
The companies Jonathan is involved in can be split into the following categories:
- Hotels: Chic Retreats Limited, Stirling Highland Hotel Limited, Old Ship Hotel Limited, Paramount Hotel Limited, Lugon Arms Hotel Limited, Furlong Hotels Limited, Carlton Hotel Limited, UK Group of Hotels Plc, Scottish Highland Hotels Limited and Combe Grove Manor Hotel and Country Club Hotel.
- Investments Firms: LMN Capital Limited, Bracken Partners Group Limited, Shore Capital Limited, Puma VCT Plc, Charterhouse Stockbroker Limited and St Peter Port Capital Limited.
- Healthcare: Jellyworks Limited.
- Linkedin Jonathan Paisner, accessed 3 June 2015.
- Bloomberg Businessweek Jonathan Paisner, 1 December 2014, accessed 5 December 2014.
- Christ Church [4.pdf Develop Matters, Issue 2 Michaelmas 2013], accessed 5 December 2014.
- MGHP Legal Home page, accessed 5 December 2014.
- Open Corporates Jonathan Samuel Paisner, accessed 1 December 2014. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "OC" defined multiple times with different content
- St Peter Port Capital Annual Report and Audited Financial Statements, year ended 31 March 2014, accessed 5 December 2014.
- Shore Capital Overview, accessed 5 December 2014.
- Puma Investments How VTCs work, accessed 5 December 2014.
- LMN Capital Home page, accessed 5 December 2014.
- Howard Kennedy HKFsi Engages in New Perspective with Appointment of Jonathan Paisner, 11 September 2014, accessed 5 December 2014.
- Paul Ruddock Dinner at the Carlton: The New Tory power brokers ‘’Independent’’, 27 September 2009, accessed 5 December 2014.
- British Friends of the Hebrew University Mission Statement, accessed 15 December 2014.
- British Friends of the Hebrew University Meet the team, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Elizabeth Pears Hendon charity worker is ‘wonderful choice’ for MBE Hendon Times, 2 January 2009, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Marcus Dysch How community fared honours list The Jewish Chronicle, 31 December 2008, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Companies in the UK Graham Edwards, 15 December 2014.
- One Voice Movement Where, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Linkedin Alan Philipp, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Candice Krieger Alan Philipp recognised as a doyen of data publishing The Jewish Chronicle, 10 February 2010, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Bloomberg Businessweek Marc Polonsky, accessed 15 December 2014 .
- Charity Performance Charity details – Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Milken Institute Elad Shraga, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Open Charities British Friends of the Hebrew University, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Jewish Leadership Council Bernie Myers, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Company Check Howard Paul Shore, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Weizmann Final Trustees Report & Annual Accounts 2008, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Simon Rocker Ex-trustee turns on Friends of Hebrew U The Jewish Chronicle, 29 May 2008, accessed 15 December 2014.
- Simon Rocker Hebrew U donors protest at charges Jewish Chronicle, 6 June 2008, accessed 6 June 2015.