Herbert Smith Freehills
Herbert Smith Freehills is an international law firm co-headquartered in London and with offices in more than 16 countries.
It has a longstanding relationship with nuclear giant EDF Energy and close links to energy companies such as Centrica and BP.
|Part of the Powerbase Brexit Portal.|
Herbert Smith Freehills says it is advising a 'variety of private and public sector clients across a wide range of sectors to meet the challenges and opportunities of Brexit'.
Herbert Smith Freehills counts three firms as 'Brexit partners'.
- Hanbury Strategy: it says it has brought in the UK lobbying firm, Hanbury Strategy to provide it with policy advice in connection with the impact of Brexit on their clients businesses'.
- Global Counsel, the 'strategic advisory firm' founded by Lord Peter Mandelson, who is a former European Trade Commissioner. HSF says it has been working with Mandelson's firm to provide its European and Australian clients with a 'holistic perspective on Brexit'.
- Boston Consulting Group. HSF published a joint paper with the Boston Consulting Group and Global Counsel on 'Trade Post-Brexit: Charting a New Course'. They published a further report on the impact on the energy sector.
- Eric White, in December 2016, White joined Herbert Smith Freehills' International Trade and European Union law practice as a consultant, 'to help clients understand the implications of Brexit for their businesses and to plan'. White was previously a member of the European Commission's Legal Service between 1985 and 2016, where he led the Trade Policy and WTO team.
- Paul Butcher Brexit director
- Former UK climate and energy secretary Ed Davey's older brother, Henry Davey, is a corporate partner and energy expert at Herbert Smith.
- Julie Vaughan, senior associate, Herbert Smith Freehills LLP; has advised Cuadrilla Resources on 'environmental permitting for shale gas exploration sites in Lancashire'
- Senior Herbert Smith associate Alastair Young left the company in early 2013 to join US energy law specialist Bracewell & Giuliani as a partner in its newly expanded London office.
The firm is a member of the Nuclear Industry Association lobby group.  Its website declares it is ‘proud to be at the vanguard of next generation nuclear in the UK’.
|This article is part of the Nuclear Spin project of Spinwatch.|
|This article is part of the Spinwatch Fracking Portal and project|
Energy and nuclear
- EDF Energy
- Sumitomo Corporation and Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO): advising alongside Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (ADWEA) and the special purpose company Shuweihat Asia Power Company PJSC (SAPCO) on the US$1.5 billion financing of the 1.6 GW Shuweihat 3 power plant
- Sinopec: advising on its agreement to acquire a 49% stake in Canadian company Talisman Energy Inc's UK North Sea business for US$1.5 billion
- Visagino Atominė Elektrinė: advising on its plans to finance, construct, operate and decommission a new nuclear plant in Lithuania in joint venture with Estonian and Latvian utilities and a strategic investor
- Santos and GLNG: advising in relation to the development of the Gladstone LNG Project (including upstream coal seam gas fields, pipeline, LNG trains and port development)
- Energy Development Corporation: advising Energy Development Corporation in its acquisition of a 70% interest in Hot Rock Limited’s geothermal projects in South America: the Calerias and Longavi projects in Chile and the Quellaapacheta and Chocopata projects in Peru
The firm practices in the UK, in London, through Herbert Smith Freehills LLP, a Limited Liability Partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC310989. It is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors' Regulation Authority of England and Wales.
- Exchange House
- Primrose Street
- London EC2A 2EG
- Phone +44 20 7374 8000
- Fax +44 20 7374 0888
- 3 Cromac Quay
- Ormeau Gasworks
- Belfast BT7 2JD
- Phone +44 28 9025 8200
- Fax +44 28 9025 8201
- ↑ [https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eVIsX1bkCZEJ:https://www.herbertsmithfreehills.com/hsfpdf/news/a-view-from-germany-what-should-business-expect-from-brexit%3Fpdf%3D1+&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b-ab 'A View From...', HSF website, accessed Jan 2018
- ↑ Herbert Smith Freehills appoints Paul Butcher to new role of Brexit Director, HSF website, 12 July 2017
- ↑ Hanbury Strategy has been taken on by two major law firms, plus Deliveroo and pharma titan GSK, PR Week, 4 April 2017
- ↑ Herbert Smith Freehills brings Lord Mandelson to Australia HSF website, 3 October 2017
- ↑ Senior trade and EU lawyer Eric White joins Herbert Smith Freehills from the European Commission, HSF press release, December 2016
- ↑ Julie Vaughan, profile on HSF website, accessed Nov 2017
- ↑ Nuclear Industry Association Our members, accessed 5 September 2012.