From 1995 to 2003, former Daily Express journalist Millar was a part-time special adviser to former Prime Minister Tony Blair's wife, Cherie Blair. Millar is the partner of Alastair Campbell, the former spindoctor to Tony Blair. Both Fiona Millar and Alastair Campbell left Downing Street in 2003. Now a journalist for The Guardian, Millar specialises in education and parenting issues.
In a review of Tony Blair's memoirs, Millar remarks that Blair "inadvertently sums ups New Labour's brilliance, and its fatal flaw. Inspired, enervating and necessary in its time, it became an ever-shrinking cult made up of true believers fighting imaginary battles with old enemies and potential allies, while the public gradually lost interest."
In 2010, Millar's brother Gavin Millar QC - described by Chambers & Partners as an "incredible cross-examiner" - worked as a defence barrister to ex-Labour minister Phil Woolas who was in court defending the conduct of his election campaign in Oldham East and Saddleworth.
Boulton-Campbell TV "clash"
A televised confrontation between Sky News presenter Adam Boulton and Alastair Campbell in May 2010 apparently stemmed "from a bitter feud between their two equally feisty partners when they worked in Downing Street during Tony Blair’s government". Boulton's wife, special adviser Anji Hunter, and Campbell's partner Millar reportedly "clashed in a long-running row involving Cherie Blair".
Contact, Resources, Notes
- Info-Dynamics Research, "Where are they now? The 1997/1998 Special Advisers to the Labour Government", GMB: April 2006 Briefing, p11, accessed 12.09.10
- Martin McElwee, "The Great and the Good? The rise of the new class", Centre for Policy Studies, p56, accessed 15.09.10
- Nick Assinder, "Blair Loses His King of Spin", BBC, accessed 17.09.10
- Staff writers, "Fiona Millar", The Guardian, accessed 17.09.10
- Fiona Millar, "Fiona Millar: 'Blair's perceptions about people and acute eye for the comic make it a good read'", The Guardian, accessed 17.09.10
- High Street Ken, "[http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/diary/diary-wahlbergs-curtain-call-2080497.html Diary: Wahlberg's curtain call]", The Independent, 16.09.10, accessed 17.09.10
- Simon Walters, "Sky man's TV row with spin doctor 'stemmed from feud between their partners Anji and Fiona'", The Daily Mail, 16.05.10, accessed 17.09.10