Egdon Resources (UK) Ltd is an independent Aim-listed oil and gas explorer. One of its directors is also a director of the industry lobbying group UKOOG.
- 1 Activities
- 2 Partner companies in the UK
- 3 Affiliations
- 4 People
- 5 Relevant MPs in licence areas
- 6 Contact
- 7 Resources
- 8 Notes
Shale gas exploration
In August 2016 the company increased its stake in a gas exploration and production licence near Redcar in North Yorkshire, where it sees the potential for future shale drilling. It acquired an extra 20 per cent in the PEDL 68 licence in the Cleveland Basin from DESS Energy, taking its total share in the block to 68 per cent.
Partner in North Yorkshire Kirby Misperton site
Egdon is also a junior partner in another new licence for shale gas exploration, PEDL 259, which the Government provisionally awarded to Third Energy in the UK government's 14th Onshore Licensing Round. Third Energy's onshore business has been bought by York Energy, a Cayman Islands-registered offshoot of US firm Alpha Energy, with the sale finalised in July 2019.
Coal methane extraction
In June 2014 Egdon bought significant shale assets in Britain from Alkane Energy, which specialises in extracting conventional gas for power generation and has a long history of coal mine methane extraction (CMM).
In May 2019 Egdon applied to Lincolnshire county council for permission to increase noise limits and extend working hours at its exploratory oil site at North Kelsey in Lincolnshire.
Wressle site near Scunthorpe
In June 2016, North Lincolnshire Council published plans by Egdon Resources for 15 years of oil and gas production at its Wressle site near Scunthorpe. According to DrillorDrop, planners recommended approval of the scheme in January 2017 but the committee refused permission later that month by 7 votes to 3.
This long-running planning dispute between Egdon on one side and North Lincolnshire Council and local campaigners on the other has seen councillors turn down the scheme three times. Most recently, the council unanimously refused planning permission for the Wressle site on 28 November 2018.
A second public inquiry on Egdon’s proposals for Wressle was due to be held November 2019, however in July 2019 Egdon announced the council had withdrawn its case against the firm. Campaigners expressed their 'profound' disappointment.
Partner companies in the UK
- Third Energy - PEDL 259, North Yorkshire
- Union Jack Oil is a partner in the Wressle site near Scunthorpe.
- Celtique Energy - PEDLs 180, 181, 182, 201 (variously bought out by other companies)
- Premier Oil is Egdon's largest shareholder.
- Mark Abbott - managing director, also a director of industry body UKOOG
- James Elson -commercial and BD director Egdon Resources EDR.L. Ex-founding CEO of shale player Realm Energy TSX.
- WALTER ROOKEHURST ROBERTS, SECRETARY, Appointed: 21/07/2000, Director Appointed: 30/07/2001
- MARK ANTHONY WILLIAM ABBOTT, Director Appointed: 26/08/1997. Also director of UKOOG
- Jeremy James Field Appointed: 10/02/2012
- PHILIP HENRY PETER STEPHENS, Director Appointed: 21/10/2004
- Andrew David Hindle
- Neil O'Brien, CEO of Alkane Energy, Egdon shareholder, appointed June 2014
Relevant MPs in licence areas
- Emily Gosden, Egdon boosts stake in North Yorkshire gas field with shale potential, The Telegraph, 22 August 2016
- Emily Gosden, Egdon boosts stake in North Yorkshire gas field with shale potential, The Telegraph, 22 August 2016, accessed 24 August
- Ruth Hayhurst, Campaigners disappointed as council drops case in Wressle oil appeal, DrillorDrop, July 29, 2019, accessed 30 July