Previously, Lidington was Leader of the House of Commons, appointed by incoming PM Theresa May on 14 July 2016.  Prior to this, Lidington was minister of state at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, a role that he had held since 2010.  His remit concerns issues surrounding Europe and the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation(NATO).
- ELECTION 2015: Conservative MP David Lidington ‘I’m delighted with result’ The Bucks Herald, 8 May 2015, accessed 13 May 2015
- Boris Johnson takes his revenge and sacks over half the cabinet, The Guardian, 24 July 2019, accessed same day
- 'Whos in and whos out? May's new cabinet' 14 July 2016, BBC News, accessed 15 July 2016
- Aylesbury's MP To Be Minister Of Europe Mix 96, 12 May 2015, accessed 13 May 2015
- Her Majesty's Government Ministers A-ZParliament Website, accessed 25 September 2015