Lobbying Bill 2013-14
In October 2013, the Charity Commission's chair William Shawcross stated: 'I think the government, in its response to the outcry from the charitable sector about the lobbying bill, has made significant changes which most of the sector, many charities, are happy with.' Following this comment, Sir Stuart Etherington, chief executive of the National Council for Voluntary Organisations, wrote to Shawcross, stating that the NCVO had serious concerns that 'are shared by our members and many other organisations in the sector.'
In January 2014, a House of Lords amendment exempting charities from the bill was dropped after the Charity Commission sent an email to peers suggesting sham charities might use the exemption as a loophole. This intervention was criticised by a number of organisations representing the charitable sector.
- William Shawcross CVO
- Eryl Besse - since 2013
- Peter Clarke - since 2013
- Claire Dove - since 2013
- Orlando Fraser (legal board member) - since 2013
- Tony Leifer - since 2013
- Nazo Moosa - since 2013
- Gwythian Prins - since 2013  
- John Wood - reappointed.
Independent member of the audit committee
Senior management team
- Cabinet Office,New board members appointed to Charity Commission, The Rt Hon Francis Maude MP, Updated 22 May 2013
- Tim Holmes, The Charity Commission's Board: an impartial watchdog?, Spinwatch, 12 March 2014
- Tania Mason, Shawcross says sector is happy with lobbying bill changes, civilsociety.co.uk, 10 October 2013.
- Abi Rimmer, NCVO chief questions Charity Commission chair's comments on lobbying bill, Third Sector Online, 16 October 2013.
- Sam Burne James, Sector bodies criticise Charity Commission over letter that 'torpedoed' lobbying bill amendment, Third Sector Online, 20 January 2014.
- All new board members were appointed in 2013 for a 3 year term; they took up their posts on the following dates: Peter Clarke (13 May), Claire Dove (1 July), Orlando Fraser (16 July), Tony Leifer (13 May), Nazo Moosa (13 May), Gwythian Prins (3 June) and Eryl Besse (3 June).
- Cabinet Office, New board members appointed to Charity Commission, gov.uk, las updated 22 May 2013, acc 10 March 2014