Andy Coulson is a journalist and media strategist who served as director of communications to Prime Minister David Cameron from May 2010 until his resignation on 21 January 2011. He is a former editor of the News of the World.
Phone Tapping Scandal
In 2005 Coulson was the editor of The News of the World when the Sunday newspaper was involved in a phone tapping scandal involving reporters hacking into the mobile phones of members of the Royal family. According to allegations published in the New York Times:
- Andy Coulson, the top editor at the time, had imposed a hypercompetitive ethos, even by tabloid standards. One former reporter called it a “do whatever it takes” mentality. The reporter was one of two people who said Coulson was present during discussions about phone hacking. Coulson ultimately resigned but denied any knowledge of hacking.
In June, Coulson was found guilty of conspiracy to intercept voicemails and on July 4, 2014 he was sentenced 18 months in prison.
- Independent consultant providing strategic communications advice. His first commission is with One Young World, March 2011. Approved by ACOBA "subject to the conditions that, for 12 months from his last day of service, he should not undertake any work which involves providing advice to any client on the terms of any bid or contract relating directly to the work of any UK Government Department or Agency, or draw on privileged information available to him as a Special Adviser for the benefit of any client, and, for 2 years from the same date, he should not become personally involved in lobbying UK Government Ministers or Crown servants, including Special Advisers, on behalf of any of his clients."
Contact, References and Resources
- Julian Henry, The Coulson factor, Media: Guardian, 27 October 2008.
- Nick Davies, Murdoch papers paid £1m to gag phone-hacking victims, guardian.co.uk, 8 July 2009.
- Don Van Natta Jr., Jo Becker, and Graham Bowley, Tabloid Hack Attack on Royals, and Beyond, New York Times, 1 September 2010.
- Lisa O'Carroll, David Cameron and Andy Coulson mingle at music festival, guardian.co.uk, 2 July 2012.
- James Hanning, Jane Merrick and Matthew Bell, Andy Coulson vetted by investigator linked to News International, Independent, 7 August 2011.
- Don Van Natta Jr., Jo Becker and Graham Bowley, Tabloid Hack Attack on Royals, and Beyond, The New York Times, 02-September-2010
- Andy Coulson jailed for 18 months over phone hacking BBC, 4 July 2014, accessed September 2014
- Andy Coulson eligible for move from Belmarsh prison Andy Coulson eligible for move from Belmarsh prison The Guardian, 14 August 2014, accessed 9 September 2014
- Andy Coulson moved from Belmarsh to open prison Andy Coulson moved from Belmarsh open prison The Guardian, 3 September 2014, accessed 9 September 2014
- Twelfth Report 2010-2011 Advisory Committee on Business Appointments, accessed 8 December 2014