Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy (A&O) is a leading international law firm.
Advising on Horizon Nuclear Power nuclear sale in the UK
Allen & Overy (A&O) advised Japanese energy and engineering company Hitachi on its £696m purchase of Horizon Nuclear Power from E.ON and RWE, which had set up the UK joint venture in November 2009. A&O energy co-head Gareth Price and corporate partner John Geraghty led the team advising Hitachi.
According to The Lawyer magazine, A&O 'has worked with Hitachi for 20 years on corporate and competition matters and has a longstanding relationship with the company’s power systems division'. Other law firms involved in the sale were:
- Clifford Chance, which had previously advised Horizon, is understood to have had a small role acting for the joint venture helping with due diligence. Freshfields, led by corporate partners Andrew Hutchings and James Wood and IP partner Chris Forsyth, advised E.ON, while CMS partner Charles Currier advised RWE. 
Advising the food industry
- Gareth Price - Allen & Overy LLP Global Co-head of Energy. He has been with A&O since he was a trainee, looks after key clients such as Dong Energy, GDF Suez and Hitachi. 
- Anne Baldock, former Head of Projects, Allen & Overy LLP is a board member of the Nuclear Liabilities Financing Assurance Board, which was set up by the Department of Energy and Climate Change to provide impartial scrutiny and advice on the suitability of so-called 'Funded Decommissioning Programmes'.
- Nuclear Liabilities Financing Assurance Board
- Carbon Capture and Storage Association
- International Financial Services London
- International Business Leaders Forum
- Public Private Partnership Forum
Contact, Resources and Notes
- James Swift, A&O, CMS and Freshfields land mandates on £696m UK nuclear sale, The Lawyer, 31 October 2012, acc 16 Sept 2013
- Allen & Overy Retail and Consumer Goods Accessed 26th February 2015
- The Lawyer, Dealmakers Hot 100: Gareth Price, Allen & Overy, 28 January 2013, acc 16 Sept 2013
- Reappointment of members to the Nuclear Liabilities Financing Assurance Board, DECC, 1 March 2012