Adair Turner, Baron Turner of Ecchinswell
Jonathan Adair Turner, Baron Turner of Ecchinswell (born 1955) is Chair of the Financial Services Authority, the UK's financial watchdog. He was appointed in September 2008.
Lord Turner has combined careers in business, public policy and academia - he lectures part-time at the London School of Economics. He described himself in a BBC HARDtalk interview with Stephen Sackur as a 'technocrat'.
Until September 2008 Turner was a non-executive Director at Standard Chartered Bank; from 2000-2006 he was a Senior Adviser, Vice-Chairman of Merrill Lynch Europe, and from 1995-99, Director General of the Confederation of British Industry. Before that, he was with McKinsey and Company from 1982-95, and between 1992-1995, built McKinsey's practice in Eastern Europe and Russia. He was previously Chair of the Overseas Development Institute. 
- In January 2008 Turner was appointed Chair of the government's new Committee on Climate Change, whose job is to set national targets for CO2 reductions, and to monitor the government’s performance in achieving them.
- From 1995 to 1999 he was Director General of the Confederation of British Industry.
- He chaired the Low Pay Commission from 2002 until 2006 and the Pensions Commission until August 2006.
- He was vice-chair of Merrill Lynch Europe from 2000 until 2006.
- He previously worked for BP and Chase Manhattan Bank before joining McKinsey & Company in 1982.
- A Glenalmond College and Cambridge University graduate (Gonville and Caius College) and past president of the Cambridge Union.
On 7 September 2005 he was created a life peer as Baron Turner of Ecchinswell, of Ecchinswell in the County of Hampshire in recognition of his public service to the nation.
- Economic and Social Research Council, Chair of Council
- Director of United Business Media plc
- Director of Siemens plc
- Director of Paternoster Holdings Ltd
- Director of Standard Chartered plc (from 1 August 2006)
Regular remunerated employment
I am the sole employee of Titcomb Ltd, which provides occasional consulting advice and conference speech services to a variety of clients
I am the sole shareholder of Titcomb Ltd, which provides the services described under para 12 (f) above
Office-holder in voluntary organisations
- Trustee of Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF) UK
- Trustee of Cambridge Foundation
- Trustee of Save the Children  until September 2008