- 1989-1990 - Head of United Nations Department, 1989-1990
- 1990-1992 - Head of Environment, Science and Energy Department
- 1994-1998 - Economic Counsellor, Russia
- 1998-2001 - Director, Global Issues
- 2001-2004 - Minister, U.S.A.
- 2004-2008 - Ambassador to Russia
Post Diplomatic work
In April 2009 he was appointed an adviser at Lloyds of London, the role was approved by ACOBA "subject to the condition that, for 12 months from his last day of service, he should not be personally involved in lobbying UK Government Ministers or Crown servants, including Special Advisers, on behalf of his employer."