Stephen Day is a partner and senior managing director of the strategic communications division at FTI Consulting. He was appointed to the role in October 2018, six months after stepping down as CEO of giant PR and lobbying consultancy Burson Marsteller UK where he had also served as chief operating officer, and MD and chair of B-M's public affairs practice from 2014. In May 2019 PR Week reported Day was appointed head of issues and campaigns.
Day is a former special adviser to the UK Conservative Party.
Shortly after Day left Portcullis, his former client Ineos also switched agencies.
In an interview in 2015 Day said:
- Ineos are leading the way on fracking, we’re leading their work on fracking. So we’re dealing in issues – and I think this is Burson Marsteller’s heritage really - that are current and controversial.'
- ...It’s heavily regulated sectors where we’re strongest and people who’ve got an innovative and perhaps disruptive brand. We worked on the strike that Uber had and I led Burson Marsteller’s work across EMEA for that. Also Aldi is indicative of where we’re going. Aldi is another disruptive brand who’ve come into a market and shaken it up. We’re not afraid of controversy.
Other client accounts Day has previously handled include: Hospital Corporation of America, Standard Chartered Bank, Johnson and Johnson News International, Coca-Cola, Marks & Spencer and British Energy
Ineos reportedly parted ways with Day's former agency B-M when he was made redundant in June 2018 after its merger with Cohn & Wolfe.
- BSc Politics/Economics, Southampton University 1996 – 1999. Was head of the Conservative Association at university.
- BSc Political Science and Government. University of Southampton 1996 – 1999
See: Fracking Spads
- Melissa Jones and Andy Rowell, Access all areas: Westminster's (vast) fracking lobby exposed, 29 April 2015.
- Ian Griggs, BM public affairs chief Stephen Day promoted to top role, PRWeek, 20 January 2016, accessed 2 December 2016.
- Stephen Day Linkedin, accessed 20 October 2014
- Daniel Farey-Jones Burson-Marsteller hires Portcullis MD Stephen Day to head UK public affairs PR Week, 10 February 2014, accessed 20 October 2014
- David Singleton Ineos blow for Portcullis Public Affairs News, 23 July 2014, accessed 15 January 2015
- Conservative lobbyist seeks current and controversial clients, 4 May 2015
- Stephen Day Burson Marsteller, accessed 20 October 2014