Brig. Gen. (ret.) Meir Elran is Senior Research Fellow and Director, Homeland Security Program and Co-Director of Israeli Society and National Security Program at the Institute for National Security Studies in Israel.
Elran served in the IDF where his most senior post was Deputy Director of Military Intelligence (1987-1989). Elran participated in peace negotiations with Egypt and was a senior member of the Israeli delegation to the peace talks with Jordan. Other positions he held in the IDF included Assistant Director of the Research Division for Evaluation and Deputy Commander of the IDF's National Defense College.
Following his retirement from the military, Elran served as the Deputy Director General of the Municipality of Tel Aviv (1989-1994). Later, as private strategic consultant, Elran served a senior advisor to several Israeli ministries, including the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Internal Security, and the Israeli National Security Council, where he concentrated on social issues relating to national security.
Elran served (2006-2007) as a special consultant and assistant with the Winograd Commission, investigating the issues surrounding Israeli conduct during the Second Lebanon War. In 2009 he was an international fellow with the US NDU's Near East and South Asia Strategic Studies Center.
- Brigadier General Meir Elran (Retd), Oxford University Strategic Studies Group.
- Elran, Meir and Altshuler, Alex, How Prepared is Israel for an Earthquake?, INSS Insight, No. 380, October 31, 2012.
- Elran, Meir, Chronic Lapses in the Preparedness of Local Governments for Emergencies, INSS Insight, No. 304, December 26, 2011.
- Elran, Meir, The National Home Front Exercise: The Improved Preparedness is not Enough, INSS Insight, No. 268, July 13, 2011.
- Elran, Meir, "Organizing Intelligence for Resilience: An Israeli Perspective," in Resilience and National Security, Centre of Excellence for National Security, S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, NTU, Singapore, 2011.
- Elran, Meir, A Home Front Law for Israel, Strategic Assessment, Volume 13, No. 4, January 2011.
- Elran, Meir, In the Wake of the Carmel Fire: Another Opportunity to Construct a Strategy of Preparedness, INSS Insight, No. 233, December 12, 2010.
- Elran, Meir and Guzansky, Yoel, eds., Vision and Reality in the Middle East: Security Challenges of the 21st Century - Conference Proceedings, Memorandum No. 105, Tel Aviv: Institute for National Security Studies, August 2010.
- Elran, Meir, "Benchmarking Civilian Home Front Resilience: Less than Meets the Eye," in Strategic Survey for Israel 2010, eds. Shlomo Brom and Anat Kurz (Tel Aviv: Institute for National Security Studies, 2010).
- Elran, Meir, Turning Point 4: The National Civilian Front Exercise, Strategic Assessment, Volume 13, No. 1, July 2010.
- [The Israeli Experience: From Civil Defense to National Resilience The Israeli Experience: From Civil Defense to National Resilience], Policy & Research Forum Event, April 27, 2010.
- Elran, Meir, An Incremental Leap in Defense Deployment of the Civilian Front, INSS Insight, No. 157, January 20, 2010.
- Elran, Meir and Rosen, Judith, eds., The US and Israel under Changing Political Circumstances: Security Challenges of the 21st Century - conference proceedings, INSS Memorandum No. 101, November 2009.
- Elran, Meir, Review of Public Role and Engagement in Counterterrorism, Efforts: Implications of Israeli Practices for the US, Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, August 2009.
- Elran, Meir, The Civilian Front: Between Needs and Responses, in: Brom, Shlomo and Kurz, Anat, (eds.), Strategic Survey for Israel 2009, Tel Aviv: Institute for National Security Studies, 2009.
- Elran, Meir, ed., The Civil Front, conference proceedings, INSS Memorandum No. 99, June 2009 (Hebrew).
- Rubin, Uzi and Elran, Meir, The Case for Short-Range Missile Defence Grows, Jane's Defence Weekly, March 10, 2009.
- Elran, Meir, The Civilian Front in Operation Cast Lead: Proper Functioning in Face of a Limited Challenge, Strategic Assesment, Volume 11, No. 4, February 2009.
- Elran, Meir, Operation Cast Lead and the Civilian Front: An Interim Assessment, INSS Insight, No. 87, January 7, 2009.
- Elran, Meir, The Civilian Front: In Search of the Right Positioning, INSS Insight, No. 70, September 2, 2008.
- Elran, Meir, Principal Lessons of the Major Home Front Exercise: Turning Point (2) for the Civilian Front?, Strategic Assessment, June 2008, Vol. 11, No. 1.
- Elran, Meir, The Winograd Report; For the Drawing Board, not the Shelf, Strategic Assesment, Vol. 10, No. 4, February 2008.
- Elran, Meir and Brom, Shlomo, eds., The Second Lebanon War: Strategic Dimensions (Tel Aviv: Yediot Ahronot, 2007, Hebrew).
- Elran, Meir, The National Emergency Authority: New Prospects or More of the Same?, Strategic Assessment, Vol. 10, No. 3, December 2007.
- Elran, Meir, Turning Our Back on the Civilian Front, Strategic Assessment, Vol. 10, No. 2, August 2007.
- Elran, Meir, Israel’s Home Front: A Key Factor in the Confrontation with Hizbollah, Strategic Assessment, Vol. 9, No. 2, August 2006.
- Elran, Meir, Israel’s National Resilience: The Influence of the Second Intifada on Israeli Society, Memorandum No. 81, January 2006, Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies, Tel Aviv University.
- Elran, Meir, Domestic Effects of the Disengagement, Strategic Assessment, Vol. 8, No. 3, Novevmber 2005.
- Elran, Meir, Disengagement Offshoots: Strategic Implications for Israeli Society, Strategic Assessment, Vol. 8, No. 2, August 2005.
- Elran, Meir, The 2004 Strategic Balance: A Net Assessment, in: Shlomo Brom and Yiftah S. Shapir, eds., The Middle East Strategic Balance 2003-2004, Sussex Academic Press (Brighton) and Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies, Tel Aviv University, (Tel Aviv), 2004.
- Meir Elran, Institute for National Security Studies, accessed 10 July 2012.