In her first election Throup gained a majority of 3,584  successfully defending the seat for the Consevatives having replaced Jessica Lee who served the constituency form 2010 until she retired in 2015. 
Stance on fracking
Throup's constituency includes one oil and gas licence blocks, awarded to Warwick Energy by the Oil and Gas Authority under the 14th licensing round in 2015. There are currently no plans for underway. 
Prior to the 2015 general election, Throup said talk of fracking in her constituency was 'scaremongering' as the borough council had received no approaches from firms with fracking plans, but adding 'we need to look at all opportunities to make sure we have secure energy sources before the lights go out.' 
- 16 December 2015: voted in favour of weakening regulations on fracking in protected areas and national parks.
- All-Party Parliamentary Furniture Industry Group
- Obesity All-Party Parliamentary Group - Chair 
- Maggie Throup MP www.parliament.uk, accessed 29 May 2015
- Erewash parliamentary constituency BBC News, 8 May 2015, accessed 29 May 2015
- Jessica Lee www.parliament.uk, accessed 29 May 2015
- Oil and gas: licensing rounds, GOV.uk, accessed 14 November 2016.
- Source, Derby Telegraph, 26 March 2016, accessed 11 May 2020.
- 'Furniture Industry APPG',parliament.uk, accessed 11 November 2015
- Obesity APPG Register Feb 16, www.parliament.uk, accessed 19 February 2016