Underwood was also the former head of public relations for Neil Kinnock and in 2008 was described as 'a controversial lobbyist, who was recently paid GBP 100,000 by the Government for writing a report that endorsed Labour plans for a hospital closure in a Tory area'. Patricia Hewitt was involved with the Health Secretary's department (who commissioned the report) whom Underwood knew from his time working for Kinnock nearly 20 years previously.
Underwood is also connected to the Progressive Policies Forum.
According to The Independent on Sunday, Underwood is a 'former television journalist'
The Observer describes Underwood as priding 'himself on being a political firefighter with an acute sensitivity as to how the media works', and who 'specialises in helping companies, public bodies and high-fliers in minimising the damage to their reputations when a public relations disaster looms'.
- Freshwater UK Directors Accessed 4th April2008
- McKinstry, L. (2008) 'How can hypocritical, conceited Hain remain in high public office?' The Express 14 January 2008
- Walters, S. (2008) 'EVERY LITTLE HELPS; A PLUG IN STORE: Peter Hain at Maesteg's new Tesco, a company linked to his campaign manager Steve Morgan' Mail on Sunday. 13th January 2008
- The Independent on Sunday 'The PR man, the diamond broker and the drugs boss'. 13 January 2008
- Doward, J. & Quinn, B. (2008) 'Think tank' that fuelled Hain's bid: Westminster's sharks scent blood amid fresh revelations of donations to a minister's election campaign' The Observer 13 January 2008