She served on the editorial board of the Washington Post from 1980 to 1982, covering arms control, energy, environment, science, and technology. Later, Mathews wrote a weekly column for the Washington Postwhich also appeared in the International Herald Tribune.
From 1982 to 1993, she was founding vice president and director of research of the World Resources Institute. In 1993, she returned to government as deputy to the undersecretary of state for global affairs. Earlier, she served on the staff of the Committee on Energy and the Environment of the Interior Committee in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Harvard Corporation - member
- Nuclear Threat Initiative - trustee.
- Radcliffe College - Former board member.
- Inter-American Dialogue - former co-vice chair four foundations
- Rockefeller Foundation - Former board member.
- Rockefeller Brothers Fund - Former board member.
- Century Foundation - Former board member.
- Joyce Foundation - Former board member.
- Brookings Institution - Former board member.
- Surface Transportation Policy Project - Co-founder
- American Philosophical Society - elected fellow.
- SomaLogic - Director
- Hanesbrands Inc.
- NameBase MATHEWS JESSICA TUCHMAN
- Jessica Tuchman Mathews, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, accessed 7 June 2013.