According to his biography on Media House's website Irvine trained on regional newspapers in Scotland and England before going on to hold senior editorial and management positions in Mirror Group and News International including that of Editor and CEO.
- Irvine has carved out a niche in Crisis Management and in that role deals almost exclusively with Chairmen, Presidents and CEOs both in Europe and the US. He was also a member of the Working Party examining public perception of the Scottish Parliament. 
- Irvine specialises in international litigation and is a founding partner of Tactical Response, a confidential consultancy that advises boards on sensitive matters such as extortion, terrorism, fraud and abduction. They are operational on a global scale.
- member of The Saint Andrew's Society of the State of New York
- advises The American Scottish Foundation based on Madison Avenue
- former board member of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra (3 years)
- board member of the Scottish North American Business Council (3 years)
- former member of the Working Party examining public perception of the Scottish Parliament 
- Cayman Finance
- Our people: Jack Irvine, Media House website, acc 11 October 2011