Israel Defense Forces
(Redirected from Israel Defence Forces)
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) was established in 1948 as the armed forces of the newly established State of Israel. It incorporated a number of pre-state Jewish paramilitary organizations, including the Haganah, Palmach, Irgun and Lehi.
Chiefs of Staff
- Lt. Gen. Yaacov Dori (1947-49)
- Lt. Gen. Yigal Yadin (1949-52)
- Lt. Gen. Mordechai Maklef (1952-53)
- Lt. Gen. Moshe Dayan (1953-58)
- Lt. Gen. Chaim Laskov (1958-61)
- Lt. Gen. Tzvi Tzur (1961-64)
- Lt. Gen. Yitzhak Rabin (1964-68)
- Lt. Gen. Chaim Bar Lev (1968-72)
- Lt. Gen. David Elazar (1972-74)
- Lt. Gen. Mordechai Gur (1974-78)
- Lt. Gen. Rafael Eitan (1978-83)
- Lt. Gen. Moshe Levi (1983-87)
- Lt. Gen. Dan Shomron (1987-91)
- Lt. Gen. Ehud Barak (1991-95)
- Lt. Gen. Amnon Lipkin-Shahak (1995-98)
- Lt. Gen. Shaul Mofaz (1998-2002)
- Lt. Gen. Moshe Ya'alon (2002-05)
- Lt. Gen. Dan Halutz (2005-07)
- Lt. Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi (2007-11)
- Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz
- Aman | Civil Administration in Judea and Samaria | Coordinator of Government Operations in the Territories | IDF Spokesperson's Unit | National Urban Training Center | Unit 8200
- Alpinist Unit
- Oketz Unit
- Unit for Underwater Fighting
- Sayeret Matkal
- Unit 669
- Shayetet 13
- Yahalom Unit
- Shaldag Unit
- Skylark Unit
89th "Oz" Brigade
- Unit 212 – Maglan – a commando unit which specializes in operating behind enemy lines.
- Unit 217 – Duvdevan – mistaravim unit.
- Unit 621 – Egoz – counter-guerrilla unit.
- ↑ History of the IDF, Israel Defence Forces, accessed 3 August 2012.
- ↑ Past Chiefs of Staff, Israel Defence Forces, accessed 3 August 2012.
- ↑ General Staff, IDF, accessed 15 March 2013.