She was appointed joint parliamentary under secretary of state at the Ministry of Justice and for Women's and Equality Issues in September 2012. Grant took on the role of parliamentary under secretary of state (sport and equalities) at the Department for Culture, Media & Sport in October 2013. Following the Prime Ministers reshuffle in May 2015, Grant no longer holds her role as minister for sport. 
Grant studied law at Hull University and practised as a family solicitor after qualifying in 1988. She set up Grants Solicitors in 1996.
Grant served on the Justice Select Committee until 2011 and was appointed to the Conservative social justice policy group in 2006.
Having left her role as parliamentary under secretary of state at the Department for Culture, Media & Sport in May 2015, Miss Grant sought the advice of the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (ACOBA) regarding two new appointments outside of government. The appointments were; Honorary patron of Women in Racing (a part-time, unpaid appointment) and another as Trustee of the Human Trafficking Foundation.
Despite her former department's occasional dealings with WIR, the committee saw no problem with the appointments given that Miss Grant serve a 2 year lobbying ban from her final day in office and that she does not use any of the privileged information she may have had access to during her time in government. 
- Yvette Bryant
- Thomas Dawlings - Councillor, Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
- Charles Houghton
- Joshua Margrie-Rouse
- Bethany Sidwell
- Vanda Vincent 
- Email: email@example.com
- Post: Helen Grant MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
- Telephone: 0207 219 7107
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 4th Floor, 100 Parliament Street, London, SW1A 2BQ
- Telephone: 0207 211 6000
- Helen Grant, www.parliament.uk, accessed 7 October 2013.
- Junior Ministerial reshuffle rolling blog, ConservativeHome, 4 September 2012.
- Ministerial appointments: 7 October 2013, Prime Minister's Office, 7 October 2013.
- Helen Grant Loses Sports Portfolio In Cameron's Reshuffle The Voice, 12 May 2015, accessed 13 May 2015
- Helen Grant GOV.UK, accessed 10 October 2014
- Helen Grant Summary of Business appointments, Gov.uk, accessed 23 May 2016
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 20 April 2016