Liddell was the internal candidate to head MI5 at the retirement of Sir David Petrie in 1945, but was passed over by Clement Attlee in favour of Percy Sillitoe. Along with Roger Hollis and Dick White, Liddell was said to be among the officers who tried to undermine Sillitoe, a former Chief Constable of Kent.
- NameBase LIDDELL GUY MAYNARD
- Francis Stonor Saunders, Stuck on the Flypaper, London Review of Books, 9 April 2015.
- David Leigh, The Wilson Plot, Mandarin, 1989, p.5.
- David Leigh, The Wilson Plot, Mandarin, 1989, p.22.
- David Leigh, The Wilson Plot, Mandarin, 1989, p.23.
- David Wise, Molehunt: How the Search for a Phantom Traitor Shattered the CIA, Avon Books, 1992, p.112.