Gillian Evelyn Joynson-Hicks (nee Schluter), Viscountess Brentford, is an evangelical activist. She is a patron of the moral conservative advocacy group the Family Education Trust (formerly Family and Youth Concern).
She became the president of the Evangelical Church Mission Society in 1998 and the Third Church Estates Commissioner.. She is a chartered accountant by profession and close friend of former archbishop of Canterbury George Carey. She is also a patron of Concordis International. Viscountess Brentford was awarded an OBE in 1996 for ‘for humanitarian services & services to community in London’.
Joynson Hicks and her husband Viscount Brentford are on the evangelical wing of the church and opposed the ordination of the openly gay canon, Dr Jeffrey John, as Bishop of Reading. According to The Times:
- Significantly, the Church Society, which has led opposition to Dr John and Dr Williams, is headed by Viscount Brentford, an evangelical layman.
- His wife, Lady Brentford, was one of the evangelicals on the Archbishops' Council inherited by Dr Williams from his predecessor, Dr George Carey. She handed over to the former newspaper editor Andreas Whittam Smith, First Church Estates Commissioner, when she retired last month.
Support for the Christian People’s Alliance
High Sheriff Appointment
In 1998 Viscountess Brentford became the High Sheriff of East Sussex. According to a diary piece in The Times Viscountess Brentford asked the police if she could ‘come to train with riot police and sit in a squad car chasing criminals - because she said she wants to know what it feels like’.
Links to the Archbishop of Canterbury
According to the Telegraph, Joynson-Hicks was 'a close friend of Dr Carey and his wife Eileen, she is said to have enormous influence with the Archbishop... Lady Brentford often arrives at meetings in the Archbishop's car.'
According to the Daily Mail's Ephraim Hardcastle column Joynson-Hicks was given a 'grace and favour cottage at Lambeth Palace she has enjoyed since Dr Carey moved out his gardener to make way for her.' The paper also notes that Joynson-Hicks was at that stage 'on the Crown Appointments Commission considering Dr Carey's successor.'
The Telegraph describes her as: 'One of the Great and Good, and with links to Holy Trinity, Brompton, the high temple of fashionable evangelical worship, Lady Brentford is said by some to be "Carey's fixer".'
Anglo-Israel Association | Corporation of London | World Mission Association | Mission Aviation Fellowship International | Kingsway Trust | Christians in Overseas Service Trust | Anno Domini Charitable Trust | Beacon Millenium International Trust | Central Board of Finance of the Church of England | Marc Europe | Christian People’s Alliance | Concordis International | Family Education Trust | Counselling Pastoral Trust, Patron
- Family Education Trust About Us, accessed 22 August 2010
- Home News, Twelve followers help to choose next archbishop, The Times, 25-February-2002
- P J Bothrone, Secret list for Carey successor A start has been made in a selection that whittles candidates down to a final two, reports P J Bonthrone, The Daily Telegraph, 17-January-2002
- Concordis International, Who’s Who, Concordis International, URL: http://www.concordis-international.org/about-us/who-who.html Accessed 04-April-2012
- THE GUARDIAN HOME PAGE; Pg. 6, FORMER BBC CHAIRMAN MARMADUKE HUSSEY: BECOMES A BARON; Everton and Wales goalkeeper Neville Southall, receives an MBE; actress Dora Bryan, awarded an OBE; and the former chief prisons inspector, Stephen Tumim, made a knight, The Guardian, 15-June-1996
- Ruth Gledhill and Lewis Smith Church's two wings are locked in moral combat, The Times (London) July 8, 2003, Tuesday Home news; 6.
- 204 words, Don’t Vote for Norris say Wives, Belfast Telegraph, 2-May-2000
- Features, High Sheriffs, The Times, 19-March-1998
- Jasper Gerard, Diary, The Times, 25-February-1999
- The 13 voting members of the commission, Daily Telegraph, 12:01AM GMT 17 Jan 2002
- Ephraim Hardcastle Daily Mail (London) April 5, 2002, Pg. 15
- Court and Social: Dinners, The Times, 11-December-1987
- Court and Social: Banquets and luncheons, The Times, 14-April-1988
- Viscountess Gillian Evelyn Brentford, Director Summary, Director Check, URL: http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/904629559 Accessed 03-April-2012
- Counselling Pastoral Trust Patrons, Advisors and Staff, accessed 29 March 2012