The Gaither Committee was appointed by US President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1957, shortly after the launch of Sputnik by the Soviet Union. It concluded that the United States was in danger of losing a war against the Soviets, and that massive increases in defence spending, particularly on missile programs, were required.
Security Resources Panel - Membership Roster
- Robert C. Sprague - Sprague Electric Company
- William C. Foster - Olin Mathieson Chemical Corp.
- Dr James P. Baxter III - Williams College
- Dr Robert D. Calkins - Brookings Institution
- John J. Corson - McKinsey and Company
- Dr James A. Perkins - Carnegie Corporation
- Dr Robert C. Prim - Bell Telephone Labs
- Dr Hector R. Skifter - Airborne Instruments Labs
- William Webster - New England Electric System
- Professor Jerome B. Wiesner - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Technical Adviser Oliver P. Edward - Rand Corporation
- Rowan H. Gaither Jr - Ford Foundation
- Admiral Robert B. Carney - Westinghouse Electric
- General James H. Doolittle - Shell Oil Company
- General John E. Hull - Manufacturing Chemists Association
- Dr Mervin J. Kelly - Bell Telephone Laboratories
- Dr Ernest O. Lawrence - Radiation Laboratory, University of California.
- Robert Lovett - Brown Brothers, Harriman
- John J. McCloy - Chase Manhattan Bank
- Dr Frank Stanton - Columbia Broadcasting System
Science Advisory Committee - Subcommittee
- Dr James B. Fisk - Bell Telephone Laboratories
- Dr James R. Killian Jr. - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dr I.I. Rabi - Science Advisory Committee
Institute for Defence Analyses Officers
- General James McCormack Jr. - President.
- Dr. Albert G. Hill - Vice President and Director of Research
- Dr Sidney S. Alexander - Massachussetts Institute of Technology
- Donald Y. Barrer - IDA/WSEG
- Dr Lloyd V. Berkner - Associated Universities, Inc.
- Richard M. Bissell - Central Intelligence Agency
- Dr Eugene T. Booth - Columbia University
- Richard P. Booth - Bell Telephone Laboratories
- Dr. Willard P. Bouricious - International Business Machines
- Dr William E. Bradley - Philco Corporation
- William E. Butler - Chase Manhattan Bank
- Leonard Carulli - McKinsey and Company
- Dr. Joseph M. Clifford - IDA/WSEG
- Dr. George A. Contos - IDA/WSEG
- James E. Cross - Center for International Study
- Dr John H. Daniel - IDA/WSEG
- Dr Edwin O. Elliott - Operations Evaluation Group
- Dr Richard Emberson - Associated Universities, Inc
- William J. Frantz - Boeing Aircraft Corporation
- Dr J. Wayne Fredericks - Ford Foundation
- Edwin B. George - Office of Defence Mobilization
- Dr William M. Hall - Raytheon Manufacturing Co.
- Dr Robert J. Hansen - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Dr Joseph O. Hanson - US Information Agency
- Lt Col. James Hartgering - Walter Reed Medical Center
- Robert A. Hawkins - AVCO Manufucturing Company
- Dr William A. Higginbotham - Brookhaven National Laboratory
- H. Burke Horton - Office of Defence Mobilization
- William R. Hutchins - Raytheon Manufacturing Corp.
- Chandler W. Jones - Narragansett Electric Company
- Spurgeon M. Keeny, Jr - Office of Secretary of Defence R & E.
- John W. Klotz - Office of Secretary of Defence R & E.
- Col Omar E. Knox, USAF - IDA/WDEG
- Dalimil Kybal - Lockheed Aircraft Corporation
- Dr Joel S. Lawson - University of Illinois
- Dr Stanley J. Lawwill - Strategic Air Command
- Colonel George A. Lincoln - United States Military Academy
- Franklin A. Lindsay - McKinsey and Company
- Dr Andrew Longacre - Syracuse University
- Dr Andrew W. Marshall - Rand Corporation
- Dr Brockway McMillan - Bell Telephone Laboratories
- Dr Edwin M. McMillan - University of California
- Dr Vincent V. McRae - Operations Research Office
- Dr Melvin L. Merritt - Sandia Corporation
- Dr Donald N. Michael - Dunlap & Associates
- Dr William H. Minshull, Jr - Hughes Aircraft Corporation
- Anthony J. Navoy - IDA/WSEG
- General Otto L. Nelson, Jr - New York Life Insurance Co.
- Dr Nathan M. Newmark - University of Illinois
- Guy W. Nichols, Jr - New England Electric System
- Paul H. Nitze - School of Advanced International Studies
- Dr Joseph H. Pechman - Committee for Economic Development
- Oliver Popenoe Office of Defense Mobilization
- Dr Franklin A. Rodgers - Lincoln Laboratory
- Dr Bruce W. Rohrbacher - MicKinsey and Company
- Luis R. Sanchez - Rand Corporation
- Dr William McC. Siebert - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Lt Col Glen A. Smith - Central Intelligence Agency
- Robert Stockley - Federal Civil Defense Administration
- Dr Donald C. Stone - Springfield College
- Walmer E. Strobe - US Naval Radiological Lab.
- Norman H. Taylor - Lincoln Laboratory
- Dr Lester Van Atta - Hughes Aircraft
- Lawrence R. Walters - IDA/WSEG
- William L. White - Stanford Research Institute.
- Dr Robert Whitmer - Ramo-Wooldridge Corp
- Major Paul F. Whine, USAF - NORAD
- Marshall K. Wood - Office of the Secretary of Defense (R & E)
- Dr Herbert F. York - University of California
- Gaither Report calls for more U.S. missiles and fallout shelters, history.com, accessed 13 February 2014.
- Deterrence & Survival in the Nuclear Age, Security Resources Panel of the Science Advisory Committee, 7 November 1957.