Timpson practised as a family law barrister in Cheshire courts, specialising in the cases of vulnerable children. He sat on the Children, Schools and Families Select Committee and the Joint Committee on Human Rights. He was also chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Groups on Adoption and Fostering, Looked-after Children and Care Leavers.
He is also vice chairman for the Run-away and Missing Children Group. 
Stance on fracking
In a letter to a constituent, Timpson expressed support for fracking:
- 'I fully understand and appreciate people's concerns about fracking, but let me reassure you that the Government is creating a regulatory regime that provides clear, stron protections for the environment. With these in place, I think it is right we explore and make use of shale gas and oil. The opportunity to extract this energy, as well as to secure jobs and investment, cannot be ignored.' 
Timpson’s constituency includes three oil and gas licence blocks, all awarded to IGas by the Oil and Gas Authority under the 14th licensing round in 2015. There are plans to conduct 2D seismic surveying, but no applications or plans for shale wells are currently underway. 
Herbert has generally voted against increased regulations on fracking . 
- 26 January 2015: voted against making fracking companies apply for an environmental permit before conducting exploratory drilling. He also voted against an amendment to the Infrastructure Bill to include an 18 month moratorium on fracking.
- 11 February 2015: voted in favour for requiring more pre-conditions for where fracking can take place.
- 16 December 2015: voted in favour of weakening regulations on fracking in protected areas and national parks.
Timpson studied political sciences at Durham University and then did a law conversion at the College of Law, London. He also sat his bar exams at the Inns of Court School of Law. 
- Roz Buchannan - Director, G+H Consulting Ltd 
- Daniel Large - Paid in part for role as advisor by Timpson Ltd and by his own company By and Large Ltd, a campaign strategy company 
- Edward Timpson Express, accessed 19 May 2015
- Mr Edward Timpson, www.parliament.uk, accessed 25 August 2013.
- Edward Timpson GOV.UK, accessed 10 October 2014
- Response to fracking in national parks, MP's website, accessed 3 January 2017.
- Oil and gas: licensing rounds, GOV.uk, accessed 14 November 2016.
- TheyWorkForYou | Edward Timpson, TheyWorkForYou, accessed 3 January 2017.
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 25 April 2016